I love how filling this dish is and how it's honestly not that hard to make at all. Serve with your favorite pasta sauces like marinara, pesto or even a vegan alfredo. The sky is the limit with these pillow soft and totally comforting dumplings of joy.
Potato Gnocchi [Vegan]
- 4 – 5 medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra to add to boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Approximately 1 cup plain flour
- Water for boiling
Wash the potatoes but leave in the skins, and place in a large pan of water, Bring to the boil and cook for 30 minutes or so, until a knife can be inserted easily and the skins are starting to flake away a bit.
- Drain potatoes and leave to steam and cool slightly in a colander. Leave until the potatoes have dried out and are cool enough to handle, but not cold.
- Scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a large mixing bowl, discarding the skins, add the olive oil and salt and mash until smooth and lump free.
- Prepare a large pan of salted water, cover with a lid and start to bring to the boil while you prepare the gnocchi.
- Now its time to add the flour to the potatoes. Stir in bit by bit until it kind of forms a soft potato-y dough, just enough so you can pick a bit up with floured hands and roll. (you may need a little more if your potatoes are particularly wet) One handful at a time place some dough on a floured surface and roll between your hands to form a long thin log like a rope, about .78 inches in width, (see above photo for guidance).
- Next slice the gnocchi log into approximately 1 inch pieces. Place on a floured plate, take another handful of gnocchi and repeat until all the dough is used up. (At this point you could freeze the gnocchi on trays, then transfer to sealed bags and cook as directed above when needed)
- Once the water is at a fast boil, add gnocchi, not all of it at once but in batches, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. After about 3 minutes the gnocchi will rise to the top, this means it is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large dish with a little olive oil. Bring water back to boil, add more gnocchi and repeat this step until all the gnocchi is cooked.
- Serve straight away and eat as desired with your favorite sauces. Serve with marinara sauce and basil pesto, either straight on top as you would serve pasta, or baked together in the oven for 15 minutes (optional).
(Per Serving) Calories: 402 | Carbs: 71 g | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 11 g | Sodium: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g