When I was growing up, my mom frequently made us her version of Pav Vada, a traditional Indian street food or snack composed of a spicy potato filling fried in a chickpea flour batter sandwiched between bread. This simple dish is awesome, to say the least, and is one of my favorite Indian street foods! I’ve had intentions of re-creating my mom’s version of Pav Vada for quite some time now, but simply never got around to it, until now. Out came these amazing sliders!
Potato Fritter Sliders With Chipotle Aioli [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 dozen cracked wheat mini slider buns (or GF bread)
- 24 slices of tomatoes
- 24 small pieces of romaine lettuce
- vegan butter to grill the bread
Chipotle Green Onion Aioli:
- 3 chipotle pepper with Adobo Sauce (comes in a small can)
- 4 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 cup additional vegan mayo OR 1/4 cup silken soft tofu
- 2 tbsp chives (or green onions), finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
For the Potato Filling:
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp oil (such as grapeseed oil)
- 1 teasp mustard seeds
- ½ teasp asafetida (optional, omit for gluten-free)
- 16 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teasp ginger, finely minced
- fresh green jalapeno, minced (optional for added spice)
- 1 teasp fresh lemon juice
- salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
For the Potato Fritter Batter:
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp chickpea flour (gram flour)
- ¼ teasp turmeric
- ½ cup water
- ½ teasp salt (to taste)
- pinch baking soda
For the Potato Filling:
- Completely cook the potatoes by boiling in water or using a pressure cooker. Peel and mash the potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to crackle, add the asafetida (if using) and sauté for a few seconds.
- Immediately add the minced garlic, ginger, and fresh jalapeno (if using). Sauté for ~30 seconds or until fragrant, mixing frequently.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder, lemon juice, chopped cilantro, and salt (to taste). Mix well.
- Remove from heat and cool completely. During this time, you can prepare the Chipotle aioli .
- Divide the potato mixture into ~22-24 portions (~2 tbsp filling each). Shape into round balls and set aside.
To Make the Aioli:
- Add all the ingredients, except for the chives, into a blender such as a Vitamix. For the chipotle pepper, scoop one out of the can allowing any Adobo sauce to come with it (~1 tbsp, see notes below).
- Blend until completely pureed into a thick and creamy aioli.
- Pour the aioli into a bowl. Add the finely chopped chives. Add some freshly ground black pepper to taste. If needed adjust the seasoning with some salt or additional lemon juice (note: I did not need to add any additional salt to my aioli).
To Make The Potato Fritters:
- Heat oil in a frying pot on medium to high heat.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the batter in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Once the oil is hot enough (To check this, drip a little of the batter into the hot oil. If the oil is hot enough, the batter should immediately fry and float to the top), dip each potato ball into the chickpea flour batter and quickly roll to coat. Shake off the excess, and place in the hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp on the outside. Using a frying spatula, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Depending on how large your frying pot is, you can fry a few potato fritters at once.
To Assemble The Sliders:
- Heat some butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the mini slider buns and grill on both sides until toasted.
- For each slider, spread 1 tbsp of the prepared chipotle aioli on the bottom half, top with one piece of lettuce and one tomato slice. Place the potato fritter on top of the tomato slice. Spread another 1 tbsp of the aioli on the top half of the bun and close. Gently smash and enjoy!
The potato fritters can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer. When ready to use, simply defrost (if needed) and bake at 350 degrees in the oven until toasted, making this a quick vegan meal to prepare for a dinner party!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Grain-Free FlourPotato RecipesRusset PotatoTomatoes