This recipe is a must-make for any dumpling lover! Meaty Shiitake mushrooms and filling potatoes make up the bulk of the filling for these tasty dumplings. A small handful of cabbage adds texture, while garlic and green onion provide a flavor that stands out. Serve these as a snack or appetizer with a small cup your favorite dipping sauce.
Mushroom and Potato Dumplings [Vegan]
- 1 pound of potatoes, or about 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1/4 of a red onion, minced
- 7 Shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 2 large Nappa cabbage leaves, minced
- 3 stalks green onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Red chili flakes, to taste
- 35-40 vegan dumpling wrappers
- Peel and coarsely chop the potatoes. Using a steamer basket or a pot of boiling water, cook the potatoes until fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare all of the vegetables. In a skillet, sauté the red onion and garlic until the onion is transparent. Add in the remaining vegetables and sauté until cooked through.
- Once the potatoes are cooked through, mash them in a large bowl, until fairly smooth. Add the sautéed vegetables, chili flakes, and soy sauce, and stir well until combined.
- To prepare the dumplings, start by using your fingers to gently thin out the ends of a dumpling wrapper so that the wrapper is slightly larger and thinner.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper, fold them over to cover the filling, and pinch the edges together. Continue this process until you run out of filling or wrappers.
- There are two ways to cook the dumplings. For steamed dumplings, place the dumplings on the greased surface of a steamer, or on cabbage leaves and steam until cooked, about 6 minutes.
- For boiled dumplings, boil the dumplings until they float to the surface, about 3-5 minutes.
If you don't want to eat all of these dumplings right away, place the prepared, uncooked dumplings in a plastic bag and freeze them in the freezer until later. When ready to eat, follow the boiling instructions. Once prepared you either need to cook or freeze the dumplings right away.