It’s a wonderful, healthy, robust everyday meal. As with most curries/stews, it's superb the next day. So if you have any leftovers, I guarantee a fantastic lunch!
Moroccan Vegetable Stew [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, large sliced thin
- 3-4 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 6-8 tomatoes pureed
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder. Add less or more according to your preference
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Potato/ sweet potato, large cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup pumpkin cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup mushrooms quartered
- 1 Red pepper cut into chunks
- 1 Yellow pepper cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup zucchini cut into chunks
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 2 teaspoons fresh breadcrumbs
- Cilantro/ parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes. Add all the spices - coriander, cumin, cinnamon, red chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for another couple minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and let it all simmer together for 8-10 minutes. Add the potatoes/ sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Add about 500 ml water. Cover and cook until they are softened.
- Now add all the other vegetables - mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini and the chickpeas. You may need to add some more water if it's looking too dry. Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Finish off with some lemon juice and a handful of parsley or cilantro. Serve warm!