A filling noodle stir-fry, packed with a variety of flavorful veggies. The homemade teriyaki sauce is really something else. Sweet and tangy from orange and pineapple juice, it's a new spin on tradition.
Japanese Pan Noodles With Healthier Homemade Teriyaki Sauce [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Pan-Fried Noodles:
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots, julienned or sliced
- A pinch or two fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup of healthy homemade teriyaki sauce
- 1 7-ounce package of cooked stir-fry udon noodles
- 1 cup Asian bean sprouts
- 8 ounces sprouted organic tofu or tempeh, cubed (optional)
- Black sesame seeds, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges, for topping
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup low-sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar, or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
To Make the Teriyaki Sauce:
- Add all ingredients except arrowroot powder/water in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add arrowroot dissolved in water. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until slightly thickened. Sauce will thicken a bit more as it cools.
To Make the Tofu or Tempeh:
- Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 375°F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat about 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in your saute pan or wok over medium heat, add tofu cubes and pan fry, turning the cubes or gently shaking the pan to lightly brown each side, about 5 minutes.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce and toss the cubes to coat them. Transfer the tofu cubes to the baking sheet and place in the oven while you prepare the noodles. The tofu will be firm and delightfully crisp on the edges by the time you’re ready to plate the noodles.
To Make the Pan-Fried Noodles:
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or saute pan.
- Add mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and ginger. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the noodles and the stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and continue to saute, coating veggies and noodles. Add the bean sprouts and toss. Remove from heat, plate, and top with optional ingredients.