Instead of tuna, these boys are made from chickpeas with seaweed flakes to give them that scent and taste of the sea.
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1- 15 ounces can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dill pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons kelp or dulse or seaweed flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, dill, parsley, celery salt and Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- Mash the chickpeas so that hardly any whole ones remain. Add all ingredients and mix well. Add more flakes if you want it to taste more “like the sea” or less if you want. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the chickpea “tuna” salad on a platter with lettuce and veggies or put it in a sandwich. I added romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and alfalfa sprouts to mine. Tom had his on sourdough bread while I had mine on gluten-free red rice bread.