It’s grill time out there again, and there should never be a shortage of veggie burgers! We recently entertained a group of friends who were not fond of beans/lentils, and that put me in a fix for a few minutes, because most of my veggie burger patties have some kind of bean or lentil base or addition.
Finally I decided on using one my favorite veggie combinations – cauliflower and potato. We made spicy Cauli-tato patties and baked them. The cauliflower tends to make the patties mushy if kept for too long. Once prepped and baked, they get sturdy and can be easily used in multiple ways. Simply reheat on the grill or oven and serve.
I served these with roasted peppers, sliced tomatoes and an option of guacamole or a chipotle habanero cashew cream sauce. For the Spicy Chipotle Cream sauce, blend 1/4 cup powdered raw cashews, 1/2+ cup water, 5-6 garlic cloves, 1/3 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 2+ teaspoons Chipotle Habanero Hot sauce or to taste. These patties can also be made gluten free by substituting oats for the bread crumbs.
Cauliflower Potato patties : Bean free. makes 12-14 depending on size
- 1/2 head of cauliflower grated
- 1 large potato boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 3-4 Tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon rock salt(kala namak)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri garam masala or to taste or any other spice blend
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 green chili finely chopped or chili flakes
- 1 medium tomato, 2 cloves of garlic, 1/2 inch ginger pulsed to a paste
- Coarsely ground Oats or breadcrumbs as needed
- a few Tablespoons Organic canola oil
- For the patties, Mash and mix everything well.
- Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Use coarsely ground oats or chickpea flour to help make the patties less wet and shape patties immediately.
- In a plate, mix about 1/2 cup of coarsely ground oats or bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Shape patties, and coat with this Oat mix on both sides.
- Place patties on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle or spray oil to coat the top well.
- Bake in preheated 365 degrees F for 25-40 minutes depending on the wetness and size of the patties. Flip them after 20 minutes and spray oil on the flipped side.
- The patties can also be grilled on the pan or grill. Add a bit more mashed potato and oats to make them sturdier/dryer for the grill.