In the past, I never really understood why anyone would bake fruit into a doughnut. I mean, the point of a doughnut is to be zero parts healthy and all parts delicious, correct? I thought that fruit belonged in muffins, with the exception of fruit flavored, pudding-filled doughnuts. My point is this: I was an idiot. Do you know how good fresh fruit is on vegan donuts? So good! I love these Baked Blueberry Doughnuts because the glaze topping can be adjusted to fit the size of your sweet tooth. A drop or two is perfect for some, a heavier drizzle pleases others, and then there are those of you who, like me, want to fully submerge the doughnut into the glaze to cover it completely.
Baked Blueberry Doughnuts [Vegan]
Serves12 - 18 donuts
For the Donuts
- 1/2 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
For the Blueberry Glaze
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed but not drained
- 1 1/2 cup vegan confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla almond milk
- To make the donuts, start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and coating your donut pan with oil or cooking spray (I used grape seed oil).
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, applesauce, almond milk, grape seed oil and vanilla.
- Gradually add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir until fully combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into a donut pan, filling each hole about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of the donuts begin to brown.
- Remove the donuts from the oven and allow them to cool before removing them from the pan.
- Once the donuts are cool, it’s time to make the glaze. Place the thawed blueberries in a large bowl and crush them with a spoon.
- Remove and discard the skins but keep the juice.
- Add in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and almond milk and stir until the ingredients combine to form a pretty purplish glaze.
- Drizzle, pour or brush the glaze over the donuts and devour.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS