Today is a great day because I have a Healthy Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut “Nutella” Spread recipe for you to enjoy. Believe me…I’ve eaten my share of Nutella back in the day. And everyone else’s share as well. Eventually, I realized it was basically nothing but refined sugar and palm oil with soy lecithin and empty calories with no nutrition at all, so I just quit buying it. Here’s the ingredient list for the original Nutella Hazelnut Spread: Ingredients: SUGAR, PALM OIL, HAZELNUTS, COCOA, SKIM MILK, REDUCED MINERALS WHEY (MILK), LECITHIN AS EMULSIFIER (SOY), VANILLIN: AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR Soy Lecithin – soy is a well known and documented GMO ingredient. Unless it is labeled “organic” or is labeled “non-GMO Project Verified”, we can only assume it’s made from GMO products. Sugar – refined, processed, bleached sugar Skim Milk/Whey - if it’s not organic or the milk you are consuming is not coming from a local, family farm, it’s highly likely the milk is coming from factory-farmed cows that have been given antibiotics, hormones, fed GMO grains, etc. The first ingredient listed is sugar and the second is palm oil, which means it is 70 percent saturated fat and 55 percent processed sugar by weight. And it’s not vegan.
‘Nutella’ Spread [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups organic raw hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 2/3 cups homemade almond milk
- Put the raw hazelnuts in a glass 8 x 8 baking dish and roast at 400 degrees for approximately 10 minutes (they will burn much longer than that).
- Allow the roasted hazelnuts to cool completely.
- Using your fingers, peel off the skins of hazelnuts (you don't have to get them all perfect).
- Add all the ingredients into a Vitamix (adding the hazelnuts last) and blend until smooth and creamy. Use the tamper if necessary and stop periodically to check and see if you need to add a tablespoon or more of almond milk so it will be smooth and creamy.
- Store in an air-tight glass container.