Plants are spectacular, but their power is often overshadowed by loud noise from the meat and dairy industries. We’ve seen the milk ads, the beef ads, have been advised to drink milk for calcium and eat chicken for protein. But there are plant sources for those things. We love plants and their power, for both our health and the planet.
It’s amazing what can be made with plants these days, like bloody burgers, taco meat, pepperoni, chicken strips, donut-tarts, chocolate cake, sushi, sandwiches, mac n’ cheese, bacon, eggs, steak, meat loaf…we could go on and on! So just how powerful is all of this plant food? Here are 20 myth-busting facts about the nutrient power of plant-foods.
1. Got milk? Well, you don’t need it for calcium!
2. So, who said plant-based eaters were weak, huh?
3. Stay happy through winter with non-dairy milk
4. These little beans pack a big punch!
5. Get your omega 3 RDA in no time with walnuts
6. You can eat fat to help you shed some pounds
7. Power to the legumes!
8. All hail kale – seriously, you should adore this leafy green
9. Boost your smoothie
10. Nah, fresher isn’t always better
11. Whip up some guac for game day
12. Bananas can help you get those coveted Zzzzs
13. Chocolate has some beef with beef’s iron-rich status
14. So, vegans don’t eat fish for DHA…but neither do the fish.
15. Be strong and hydrated with chia seeds
16. Your mom said to eat your broccoli, and for good reason
17. We’re crazy for nooch. It’s a vegan’s best friend.
18. Look under the sea and under the fish
19. Hooray for hemp!
Lead image source: Jessica Spengler/Flickr