These are delicious! They remind me of raisin butter tarts. Imagine if a fig bar and a butter tart had a baby (don't worry about logistics here okay, humor me)... then make it raw and vegan and you've got one of these! Sweet, chewy, healthy - it doesn't get better than this, folks!
Raw Vegan Almond Fig Bars
This Recipe is :
Serves9 big bars
For the crust
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 heaping cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the filling
- 2 cups dried figs, soaked in water for 2-4 hours (keep the water!)
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- To make the crust: process the nuts in your food processor until you get really fine pieces – like flour. Alternately you could use oat flour here. Add the raisins and cinnamon. If it’s not sticky enough, add some dates or maple syrup. Press into a 9X9 pan or shape it yourself on parchment paper, that’s what I did.
- To make the filling: blend the figs, maple syrup/agave and salt in the food processor (no need to wash it yet), adding the soak water as needed to make it smooth but still quite thick. Spread this on the crust but keep a little less than 1/4 cup of it in the food processor…
- To make the topping: add the pecans to the food processor (with the leftover fig mixture) and pulse until there are small nut chunks, but not too fine. Sprinkle this on top of the fig filling and press down a little. Cut and enjoy! I sliced the sides off mine to make it a nice square so i had these extra strips of fig bar… I made fig nut milk! Just blend it with water.