It’s unfortunate how pit bulls have been labeled as vicious dogs by society when in fact any dog can be dangerous and angry if raised to be so. Pit bulls can be just as sweet and loving as a fluffy kitten, playful and happy as a … deer? You read correctly!

Interspecies friendships are not uncommon, especially when it comes to dogs befriending other creatures. Pit bulls and kittens, pit bulls and kids, now a pit bull and a deer! Watch as dog and deer become “fast” friends as they race each other on opposite sides of a residential fence.

They appear to be completely fascinated with one another, even seemingly eyeballing back and forth as a countdown to when they will run. Pit bull Zeke is so thrilled to have found his morning running buddy.

So, what have we learned from this video and friendship stories involving pit bulls? Don’t judge a pit bull by his or her cover!

Image source: StevenW./Flickr

Boston PD’s Newest Puppy Prospect Fights For Environmental Justice! (PHOTOS)

Boston PD's Newest Prospect Fights For Environmental Justice!

Are We Eating Too Much Protein? A Scientist Makes the Connection Between Protein and Cancer

Dr. Campbell

The Not-So-Sweet Side of Sugar: What John Oliver Has to Say

Fruit Loops

Iconic Album Covers Tell A Different Story About Today’s Environmental Issues

0 comments on “Pit Bull and Deer Become ‘Fast’ Friends (VIDEO)”

Sign on with:
Rachel Martin

For any remaining pits-are-inherently-vicious folks, check out this book on the myth: _The Pit Bull Placebo_. It\'s viewable free online at http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/publications/230603563_Pit%20Bull%20Placebo.pdf. (I found and read big chunks of it after reading some of the negative comments here and on the YouTube page for the video.) After two decades of in-depth research, this lady lays out the case well. It\'s not really a surprising argument: bad owners make for "bad dogs," the media is lazy, and lots of folks don\'t possess good critical-thinking skills. :)

Also interesting is the United Kennel Club\'s description of the American Pit Bull Terrier: "This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. ... The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed ... ." http://www.ukcdogs.com/Web.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrier12012012)

Rah

Don\'t you think the dog is behind a "big heavy duty fence" because the people can afford it. If I was rich and had a nice house and was near wildlife, I would definitely like a nice fence to go around it. Also, if the deer felt like the dog wanted to attack it, it wouldn\'t be running back and forth with it, poking its head around a big cement block. Deer are prey animals, it is not typically in their nature to interact with wild or domestic canids (like dogs, who come from deer\'s natural predators). However there are a few examples of deer and dog forming a bond. One famous example is Kate the great dane and Pippin the deer (you can google it, it pops up right away) and there are even examples in the wild kingdom of typical rivals becoming "friends", living and interacting together, without killing each other. You have to look at the bigger picture, not paint a distorted image with your hatred for something you don\'t understand. That deer could also easily kill the dog, a healthy adult deer (even a doe) can and have killed adult wolves (albeit a singly).

Xiomara

I own a rescued pit that my daughter brought home. I too, had reservations about owning one so I read up on the breed. I am delighted to say that I have the sweetest, most loving dog ever. She is great with my grandson and really likes people. She has also been raised with two cats that she plays with. After 8 years together there have been no mishaps. I am a responsible pet owner so I keep her in a high fenced in yard when she is outside. I can say that she has changed quite a few family members minds about owning one.

eric
05 Jun 2014

glad, but certainly not surprised, to hear your thoughts on pit bulls, xiomara!
the reason i got my first puppy was due to the wondeful things that i had read about pits.
she was the absolute biggest lover of people, having never once barked at the front door in the 11 years i had her.
she was everything i expected from researching pits.
i would absolutely never consider another type of dog, even though my current rescued pit could never live up to the amazing nature of "my baby."

Linda

This is a touchy subject for sure. I firmly believ that the owner is the one who determines the dogs attitude.
I was walking in the back of our property and my pit/boxer found a spotted faewn laying . he walked up and sniffed and came right back when i called. He could have easily killed it. There is good and bad in every living creature that God has put on earth. I have seen little cute poodles that are meaner than pits. It\'s all in the way they\'re raised in the start. Mine was abused when i got him, but with love, he\'s one of the most awesome dogs I\'ve ever had. I really dislike seein the posts about how bad they are just becuase the media plays up encounters with them. There are other dogs that have attacked people and on\'t get the bad raps. TC&GB

kasandra

Why do you think that dog is behind that heavy duty fence?
If that thing was allowed to run loose, it would most certainly attack someone.
That dog should be shot, and the owners should go to jail.

noel
04 Jun 2014

Kasandra you are truly an idiot.I can only hope you haven\'t bred.

marie
04 Jun 2014

Kasandra you are exactly right!!! Anyone who thinks that dog wouldn\'t attack is an idiot!

Darlene
04 Jun 2014

You are so wrong. My family owned a pit bull til he passed away at 17. Never a problem but he was raised with LOVE

sandy
04 Jun 2014

Kassandra, I have a feeling that you are just trolling around trying to piss people off. Success! Either that or you are a moron.

Daniel Robbins
05 Jun 2014

Actually your parents should have been shot before giving birth to you! Being that they gave birth you should be shot and feed to the dogs!

MareCadTITANIC
05 Jun 2014

Kasandra. you are an IOIOT, you should be shot.

Jake
05 Jun 2014

Seriously...you should\'ve been shot on your parents pillow and never been born...loser

Pat
10 Jun 2014

I have rescued Staffordshire terriers, Rottweilers, a Bernese mountain dog, so many breeds, sizes and varieties of dogs. I honestly have to say the American pit bull terrier Romeo I rescued was so gentle and very intelligent with the best temperament of any large breed dog I have ever had. I think its 98% the owner and 2% the dog. If you raise them with a loving patient gentle hand you will have a happy secure loving gentle dog. it is people like kasandra that should not mentor child or dog. Her dog would be shot and her child is in jail. People should educate themselves to an animals body language. Every dog owner should educate themselves on dog behavior. Horses can interpret the body language of other creatures, including humans, If you were educated it is easy to see as the doe can certainly see this fine friendly Staffordshire terrier not an American pit bull terrier would do her or you no harm. I think this is not their first encounter and I see a 2nd deer waiting close by. Kass and marie you are exactly wrong and its obvious you know nothing about a dogs body language. No wonder their are so many screwed up poor abused dogs and children with people like you in our world

Kasandra

These dogs are evil. If that dog was loose, it would kill that deer.
All Pit Bull puppies should be fed antifreeze

Linda
04 Jun 2014

you should have been fed antifreeze. heartless miserable person.

linda
04 Jun 2014

Wow you are a real cold hearted b%$#h!! sounds like you know how to kill things.. Scary!!!

giselle
04 Jun 2014

That\'s like saying a white (or any other race) person committed a crime, so the whole race is evil. You\'re incredibly stupid.

SS
04 Jun 2014

Actually, it\'s you who is evil. The posts you put on this page say a lot about you, and none of it is good.

Sasha
04 Jun 2014

Kasandra, u need the antifreeze. By the way, have u seen a man after a deer attack? I have> It\'s a good thing you DON\'T have one of these lovable pets. The owners/trainers RUIN any animal. Yours would for real be branded IDIOT MASTER

sandy
04 Jun 2014

Kassandra, you are about as uninformed as you possibly could be.

Daniel Robbins
05 Jun 2014

Again you need to be scrapped by your parents for dog food, preferably Pit Bull dog food and /or humane society dog food you swanky little twit!
Where an we meet. My rotties want to eat you piece by piece!

paul

The pit bull is just wanting to kill and eat the deer. There is no friendship involved. Are you a friend of that chicken you had last night?

SS
04 Jun 2014

Ridiculous. I have a pit bull and three cats and they play together all the time and none of them have ever been killed. Your comment assumes way too much, and you know what they say about assuming.

sasha
04 Jun 2014

HAHAHA, are u for real???? I didn\'t have chicken, but I had venison!!!!!!!

sandy
04 Jun 2014

Another pathetic excuse for a person being heard from.

SS
05 Jun 2014

You know, the other thing is, if you watch the video, you can easily see that the dog is not displaying the slightest bit of aggression. There\'s no barking, no snarling -- nothing to indicate aggression at all. The dog is just playing. I don\'t understand why people can\'t tell the difference between a happy, playing dog and an aggressive dog.

roger

Now you want to show how good a pit bull can be? I can give a rats ass about what people think about the breed. They have a GOD give right to be here on this planet just like we do. Any one out there who has never owned a pit has no right to say anything about the breed. I have owned 4 of then and will have more. All you haters out there don\'t understand nothing about the breed or even any breed. Because you can train a Tea Cup breed to attack on command. SO it\'s not the breed of the dog that is bad. It\'s the breed of people who make them bad. You all only see and hear the bad things about the breed what you don\'t know is how they were raised and what they were raised for. This apples with any breed of do. So until you have spent a day with a Pit Bull and see the world threw there eyes then you can\'t judge them .

AC

exactly

GT
04 Jun 2014

My toy poodle point a finger at it or a gun and it would attack without any training. My pit it a big teddy bear and my shadow and would rather lick something than bite it. All of the pet sitters I have used all have said the same thing PLEASE BRING HIM BACK he is so loving and funny. It really is the way they are raised and treated. My dachshund has more of a bite than the pit. For those that dont know Cocker Spaniels are the number one biting dog in the US.

Sasha
04 Jun 2014

YEAH!!!! Go ROGER!!!!!!!! You are right on. I have trained cats, a raccoon, floppy eared rabbit, birds, turkey, bobcat, horses, birds, cougar, even Japanese fighter fish. I can\'t believe how stupid these people are. Stupid people have stupid pets. My pitt is identical to this one, xcept female with long ears. GRRRRRRRRRRR, she is awesome. I so wish the breed didn\'t have \'label\'. Caesar had worse bite of his career from a yellow lab. g\'night pit lovers, goodbye haters

sandy
04 Jun 2014

Top biting breeds in the US. Chihuahua, Dachshund, Jack Russell, Cocker Spaniel. The pit bull ranks second behind only the Labrador Retriever as the best family dog. Goldens are ranked 3rd.

eric
05 Jun 2014

roger:
all you needed to say was:
"Any one out there who has never owned a pit has no right to say anything about the breed. "
i tell people that all the time.
\'course, i, like you, KNOW what pit bulls are all about.
cheers!

Lola

I love pit bulls. I have met many many pit bulls in my day, and every one of them, EVERY SINGLE ONE, has been so sweet and loving. A good friend of mine adopted a huge pit bull from the pound. He was the sweetest fella. He thought he was a lap dog. He was not aware of his size. If I sat on the couch he would come sit on my lap, all fours on my lap and lean up against me. I couldn\'t move. I loved it. Another friend had a pit bull, a girl, and she liked to give hugs. I\'ve never met a mean pit bull. It IS how they are raised. They should be given a chance. You can\'t say ALL pit bulls are mean. I truly feel, if a pet is an asshole, it\'s because the owner is an asshole. The apple doesn\'t fall far from the tree. I\'m a cat lady. And, recently this ignorant dude said to me: "my aunt had a cat that was such a jerk. cats are jerks." Seriously?? Idiot. I told him it\'s because his aunt was a freakin\' jerk. And, cats are really good judges in character. Anyway, this video is adorable. Love It!!!

Dick Brender

Just another head-up-ass attempt to make a pit bull look good.

Joy Taber
04 Jun 2014

It\'s a shame stupid, ignorant ass people like you exist. You are a waste of precious oxygen!!!

M.
04 Jun 2014

Dick needs to take a lesson from two famous quotes:

(1) The average dog is a nicer person than the average person .......... Andy Rooney

(2) If Heaven were obtained on merit, your dog would get in. But you .......... Mark Twain

Laura Stucker
04 Jun 2014

Have you even been around a pit bull? I own one, she\'s really quite darling. She will however maul baby birds trying to "play" with them. Whatever she is mixed with must be a bird hunting breed.

kasandra
04 Jun 2014

Dick, you are 100% correct!
All these Pit Bull lovers are blinded by the fact that it is a dog, not that it is an animal that is wired to kill.

GT
04 Jun 2014

Get a clue people. We as humans are the cause of them having a bad rap. Mine has dug up baby moles or gophers and did not hurt them when he dropped them at my wifes feet. For those that have no idea the cute poodles were bread to fight tigers and lions but now are show dogs.. Dachshunds to dig and go after badger which is one of the meaner animals on the planet and they are now pets that we dress as hot dogs and have races. Wake up and actually watch and see animals and just dont be clueless uninformed person. I have lived and many countries and states and volunteer at ASPCA and other rescue groups and have seen and dealt with more animals than most. There are no breed call pit bulls they are American Staffishire Terriers, American Staffishire Bull Terriers and everyone I have seen behind a cage door is nicer than the average person you meet on the street. I have been more afraid to go in cages with some coon dogs and another breed that has a bad rap but not the Rottweiler.

Win C
05 Jun 2014

You were certainly named correctly by your parents.. You are a DICK!