It doesn’t happen often, but every now and then you hear a story about people overcoming all odds to help others and it completely changes your perspective of the world. The story of Jia Haixia and Jia Wenqi is certainly one of these.

Haixia and Wenqi are two 53-year-old men from China who have faced incredible challenges in their lives. Haixia was born with congenital cataracts that caused him to be blind in one eye. He then lost sight in his one good eye after a work accident in 2000. Wenqi tragically lost both of his arms in an accident when he was only three years old and has been living as a double amputee ever since.

Despite their physical setbacks, Haixia and Wenqi have remained utterly determined to live life to the fullest. These two best friends help one another navigate the world and when they’re together there is nothing that they cannot do.

Adding to their amazing story of friendship is the fact that the pair have managed to plant over 10,000 trees over the course of the past 10 years.

“I am his hands,” said Haixia. “He is my eyes. We are good partners.”

Blind Man and His Best Friend Who is a Double Amputee Have Planted Over 10,000 Trees in China

The pair met in 2001 when they were both struggling to find work because of their disabilities.

Neither wanted to “give up” on life, so they hatched a plan to plant trees to earn money.

By planting trees, they could give back to the community and ensure a better future for others. With this idea in mind, they set out to lease three acres of land from the government and got to work.

Haixia and Wenqi rise every day at 7AM and set out to plant trees. When they reach the busy stream they need to cross to get to their site, Wenqi carries Haixia to the other side.

jiahaixiajiawenqi4

Money is tight, but the pair are determined to reforest their land. Unable to buy new saplings, they use cuttings from older trees to sprout new life.

When it comes time to scale trees to collect cuttings, Wenqi carefully directs Haixia, acting as his eyes.

The work requires much patience and the fruits of their labors are not always apparent. But seeing young saplings grow inch by inch is enough to bring Haixia and Wenqi peace of mind.

jiahaixiajiawenqi5

“We stand on our own feet,” Wenqi tells Oddity Central. “The fruits of our labor taste sweeter. Even though we are gnawing on steam buns, we find peace in our hearts.”

jiahaixiajiawenqi10-1

A number of generous people have volunteered to help Haixia and Wenqi after hearing their story; one kind benefactor has offered to pay for a surgery that could help restore Haixia’s sight, and another has donated money towards their pensions to ensure they always have a good roof over their heads and enough food to eat.

Isn’t it amazing to see one kind action turn into countless others? Take a page from these two today and help keep the compassion going!

All image source: Mymodernmet

Are You a Wannabe Superhero Who Wants to Change the World? Come Work for Us!

One Green Planet is Looking for Superheroes Who Want to Change the World. Come Work for Us!

This Orphaned Baby Kangaroo Misses His Mom so Much He Just Wants to Hug His Teddy Bear

Orphaned Baby Kangaroo Just Wants to Hug A Teddy Bear

Sweet 7-Year-Old Boy Breaks Open His Piggy Bank to Help Animals

7 year old in text

They Decided to Foster a Tiny Kitten But Didn’t Expect the Family Dog to Become Obsessed!

They Decided to Foster a Tiny Kitten But Didn't Expect the Family Dog to Become Obsessed!

149 comments on “Blind Man and His Armless Best Friend Have Planted Over 10,000 Trees in China”

Norma Villarreal
6 Days ago

These men are such an inspiration. Yet here in America we have people angry about race, transgenders, homo marriage, etc., this is not as sad of a situation like that these men are in. I am sure that there is a Haixia and Wenqi in every country struggling. I hope that they stay well and happy.

rosemary harwood
7 Days ago

Not too long ago, it seemed to me that the Chinese people were depressed, had little freedom, little was written about their feelings. Maybe they weren\'t allowed to have feelings. Nowadays, it seems like they have been blessed with a humorous and long deserved position in the world. I, for one, L O V E it and would love to visit their country, but alas, age has taken over my life, along with the inability to breathe. (don\'t worry, I am given oxygen!!) Keep it up, you lovely people.

vic
7 Days ago

Humbling

Sue Smith
11 Days ago

My name is Sue Smith. I am really pleased with this service. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called dr. Trust. I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Andrew in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read a testimony by a man called Taylor Borg about him saying that how dr. Trust help him to get back is EX wife within 48n hours.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! Andrew my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to dr. Trust email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help [email protected] or [email protected] tel +2348156885231. Reach him on his website http://ultimatespellcast8.wix.com/ultimatespellcast

Norma Villarreal
17 Jul 2016

what does this story have to to with Haixia and Wenqi ????? These men are handicapped in a country that doesn\'t help them financially yet they get up early to do a job well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna Murray
11 Days ago

Hi everyone,
I\'m so excited my husband is back after he have left me for another woman.
My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn\'t even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 24 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity.If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. Email him at: [email protected] or call him on: +2348072370762..I am Donna Murray by name and I reside here in United States..Contact Dr.Unity for help via email: [email protected] .

Hulda Smith

What an inspiration, it's humbling to see.

Alvin C. Oscarfoote

So why do I have to beg and plead with my neighbors to plant more FREE TREES?

Kathyrne Fox

Proves once again, the happiness you receive in life, will be equal to the joy and love you give to others during your lifetime.

Sandra Jasprizza

Heros....

Emily Wells

Helping each other in survival. Then others lend a hand to help them. Amen