When I was a child, I remember my grandmother always had an aloe plant around. I thought it was a bit strange, not so pretty like most plants my mom had at home, and I never understood why she felt it necessary to have not just one, but several of these spiny looking plants around without blooms or pretty leaves. Until I became interested in health, natural medicine, and natural lifestyle factors 10 years ago, the idea of using a plant to help heal the body didn’t make a bit of sense. However, like most plants, aloe is one that has many benefits and has been used for thousands of years to help heal a variety of health issues. It’s also very easy to grow at home and makes an easy houseplant to keep around for simple skin “emergencies” or needs.

You may have seen aloe vera gels and juices at health food stores that you can purchase, which are made from the gel that’s found in the leaves of the aloe plant. While you can certainly use these if you like, the whole plant leaves are actually very simple to use at home and are much more affordable too. If you already have an aloe plant, all you have to do is take a mature leaf, slice it open lengthwise, and scoop out the gel out of one of the leaves. The gel is essentially the healing part of the plant.

Aloe-vera

Inhabitat

Here’s how to use it:

1. A Skin Healing Mask

Aloe vera is wonderful for not only healing acne scars but also for moisturizing the skin and keeping it youthful. It’s easy to make a healing facemask with nothing more than the gel of 1-2 aloe vera leaf halves. Mix this with some essential oil if you like for a nice scent (mint, thieves, and lavender are nice) or simply use it plain. Apply for 30 minutes and let it sit. It’s mild in scent on its own and has a particularly wonderful cooling feel.

2. A Sunburn Healing Gel

As many people know, aloe vera is wonderful for helping with sunburn. You’ve likely seen those sunburn gels at drugstores with aloe vera, but the better option that will provide many less chemicals is to just use real aloe leaf. It can help reduce redness and pain associated with sunburn fairly quickly and can be applied liberally as much as needed. You can apply the gel plain or can mix it with a carrier oil, such as coconut and hemp, for extra moisturizing and healing benefits.

3. Minor Skin Burns

This is the reason my grandmother always kept aloe on hand. Apparently she knew that her 12 grandchildren would have a few burns here and there. She was also a cook and liked to use it around if she touched a hot stove every now and then. I remember her always using aloe on our burns as children and though we thought she was weird, it always worked quickly. Aloe vera’s moisturizing and healing benefits transcend into the skin to reduce inflammation and aid in repair of the skin fairly quickly. To use it on a burn, apply just enough to coat the burn and cover with a bandage so it can do its job. Leave overnight and it should be better in the morning. The pain goes away almost immediately upon application, however.

4. Cuts and Wounds

The gel of the aloe vera plant contains polysacharride fibers, which is essentially why it’s used as a digestive aid (but that also makes it problematic for some people). These fibers also help to seal wounds and it’s natural cooling properties help soothe pain from cuts and wounds. Apply aloe to minor skin cuts and wounds after you’ve cleansed the area with a warm cloth and some peroxide (yes, that part stings). Then seal it up with a bandage and let it sit to heal overnight or for a day.

5. Itching or Skin Irritation

Psoriasis and skin irritation can both be a pain to deal with (literally) and can also be hard to manage. Many prescription creams and over the counter creams don’t work, and those that do often contain excess chemicals that are not best for our skins to absorb (parabens are common ingredient in these creams). Aloe is one of the best to relieve itching and irritation because it contains glycoproteins which help reduce inflammation upon contact.

What About Aloe for Internal Use?

aloe2

Wikipedia Commons

Another common use for aloe internally is to heal the digestive tract, so if you’re interested in using aloe as a digestive aid, feel free to try it. It’s a well-known use of this plant and many people attest that it works wonders for constipation. Aloe is also incredibly alkaline so it may help reduce inflammation in the stomach, along with feed good bacteria in the digestive tract thanks to its high fiber content and high water content. Just be mindful of how you react and if it causes laxative properties, pain, cramps, or you simply don’t react to it well, reduce or eliminate the amount you ingest and use aloe topically instead. For help with digestion, try some diet-based tips instead.

Let’s appreciate this spiny looking plant a bit more often than many of us do (or in my case, did). Like most plants, it’s got quite the impressive profile at keeping us healthy.

Do you use aloe for anything else besides these above? Share with us so we can give it a try too!

Lead Image Source: Flickr

DIY Rosemary and Mint ‘No Poo’ Hair Cleansing Rinse

Rosemary & Mint "No Poo" Hair Cleansing Rinse

How to Use Crop Rotation for Healthier Soils and Higher Productivity

How to Use Crop Rotation for Healthier Soils and Higher Productivity

10 Ways to Keep Tiny House Building Costs Low

window-1601423_1920

Got a Lawn? Use Your Grass Clippings for the Forces of Good

Got a Lawn? Use Your Grass Clippings for the Forces of Good

21 comments on “The 5 Best and Simplest Ways to Use Aloe Vera as a Natural Skin Remedy”

monica coben
1 Days ago

God bless Dr. sebi for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2014 and I was taking my medications, I wasn\'t satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. sebi, how he cured HERPES DIABETES and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my healing, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. sebi truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don\'t you contact him through [email protected]

Kathy
3 Days ago

I am 50 years old and I was told I had COPD 10 years ago. I immediately quit smoking, but as the years pass by my situation gets worse, and I started having attacks once a year, then every six months, and later every 3 to 4 months I was in the hospital. I used to be able to exercise, but it was so hard because i was out of breath. I see people say exercise, but understand this, you can`t exercise if you`re out of breath. I live off steroids and became type 2 diabetic from the steroids, but they`were the only medicine that kept me going. No one knows how you really feel unless they have been through your situation, not even some doctors. When the steroids no longer helps, i was introduced to Health herbal clinic in Johannesburg who have successful herbal treatment to COPD and other lungs diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave a positive response, so i immediately purchased the Pulmonary fibrosis herbal remedy and commenced usage, i used the herbal supplement for only 9 weeks, all symptoms gradually faded away, herbs are truly gift from God. contact this herbal clinic via their email healthherbalclinic @ gmail. com or visit www. healthherbalclinic. weebly. com

william forbs
7 Days ago

Healing from COPD, i never taught dr Abumere who could ever get my COPD cured with his healing herbs, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a COPD drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of ! Jona Fran-ca who truly said that she was been diagnose with COPD and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Baba of africa herbs i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him, is always getting his or her healing after take the herbs cure in a week so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i became very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i rush to hospital for the final test. So the disease and the doctor said i am COPD negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing DR.Abumere gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email or cantact him on website now for your own healing too at : ([email protected]) http://abumereherbalcentre.weebly.com/

kenrycybil
9 Days ago

Hello everyone my name is kenry cybil from usa and I’m here to testify to the general public on how my HIV/AID was cure by Dr bello, Thanks goes to Dr. bello who finally save my life with his herbal medication at no cost, May God continue to support you for the good work you are doing, i decided to share This contact to the general public for those that need his help. if you are out their suffering in pains looking for solution for any spiritual problem or affection of any kinds. Via him through this Email : [email protected], he his out there to help you out and put a smile in your face again. also he can cure any kinds of deadly disease, Herpes, HIV/Aids, Stroke, Herbs and Cancer. Truly 100% sure treatment for just 7days as instructed on how to use his herbal medication all the pains are gone also contact him on [email protected] or whatsApp him +2348147271779 good luck.

Bonnie
11 Days ago

I was diagnosed with Parkinson\'s disease at the age of 37. My father had it, so I don\'t know if it\'s my luck or heredity. My first problem was fine motor skills, especially writing. After five years of waiting, I saw a neurologist who confirmed my fears. I was immediately started on Sinemet. All of this was 22 years ago. I will be 59 in a few days. I have had good luck with the Sinemet and other meds like Mirapex, but I was extremely tired of it. I have also noticed cognitive decline, but that is also related to a now-removed brain tumor.i had to look for an alternative treatment. I read in a health forum of a herbal clinic in Johannesburg who has a successful treatment to P.D, i immediately contacted the herbal clinic via their website www (dot) Healthherbalclinic (dot) weebly (dot) com and purchased the parkinson\'s herbal formula. I received the parkinson\'s herbal treatment via courier and immediately commenced usage, i only used the herbal remedy for 7 weeks all my symptoms were unbelievably reversed, i did another series of test i was confirmed free of parkinson\'s. Visit www (dot) healthherbalclinic (dot) weebly (dot) com or email healthherbalclinic (at) gmail (dot) com

joel lisa
13 Days ago

Am Lisa by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes for 3years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn\'t going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw mr Brown post on how Dr Aba saved him from the VIRUS with herbal medicine i contacted Dr Aba on his email address [email protected] we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me through courier service and told me how to use it,after 14days of usage I went to see the doctor for test ,then the result was negative,am the happiest woman on earth now. this testimony is real.thanks to Dr Aba God bless you. you can also reach him on his whatsApp number +2348107155060

kevin joe
15 Days ago

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR Alli helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is [email protected] just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on ( [email protected] ) or +2348100772528

Louise
19 Days ago

I smoked for 20 years, October 2014 i was diagnosed of Emphysema I may have had it for 6 months to 1 year prior to diagnosis. It started with a dry cough, shortness of breath, and fatigue. A chest x-ray confirmed it and I was placed on corticosteroids. my doctor told me there is no permanent cure for the disease, i was given bronchodilators to help me relax my bronchiolar muscles, I managed on with the disease till a friend told me about a herbal clinic from johannesburg who sell herbal medicines to cure all kind of lung related diseases including emphysema, I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave positive responses I contacted this herbal clinic via there email and made purchase of the emphysema herbal medicine, i received the herbal medicine through DHL within 5 days, when i received the herbal medicine i applied it as prescribed and was totally cured of emphysema within 7 weeks of usage, the symptoms reduced till i even forgot i had emphysema, i went back to my doctor for diagnosis with spirometry and he confirmed i was free from the disease, contact this herbal clinic via there email healthherbalclinic @ gmail . com or website on www . healthherbalclinic . weebly . com

Melanie Case
19 Days ago

Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at [email protected]}
or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

jessica
20 Days ago

(EMPHYSEMA/COPD SUCCESS TREATMENT: My story)
I\'m from Nebraska USA, I was diagnosed with Emphysema in July of 2009. I may have had it for 6 months to 1 year prior to diagnosis. It started with a dry cough, shortness of breath, and fatigue. A chest x-ray confirmed it and I was placed on corticosteroids. As the disease progressed all medication stopped working, i was introduced to NewLife herbal clinic who have successful herbal treatment to Emphysema and other lungs related diseases. I spoke to few people who used the treatment here in USA and they all gave positive responses, so i immediately purchased the emphysema herbal remedy and commenced usage, i used the herbal supplement for only 7 weeks, all symptoms were reversed, herbs are truly gift from God. contact this herbal clinic via their email (newlifeherbalclinic @ gmail. com or visit www. newlifeherbalclinic. weebly. com)