Buy the #EatForThePlanet book

When I was a child, I remember my grandmother always had an aloe plant around. I thought it was a bit strange, not so pretty like most plants my mom had at home, and I never understood why she felt it necessary to have not just one, but several of these spiny looking plants around without blooms or pretty leaves. Until I became interested in health, natural medicine, and natural lifestyle factors 10 years ago, the idea of using a plant to help heal the body didn’t make a bit of sense. However, like most plants, aloe is one that has many benefits and has been used for thousands of years to help heal a variety of health issues. It’s also very easy to grow at home and makes an easy houseplant to keep around for simple skin “emergencies” or needs.

You may have seen aloe vera gels and juices at health food stores that you can purchase, which are made from the gel that’s found in the leaves of the aloe plant. While you can certainly use these if you like, the whole plant leaves are actually very simple to use at home and are much more affordable too. If you already have an aloe plant, all you have to do is take a mature leaf, slice it open lengthwise, and scoop out the gel out of one of the leaves. The gel is essentially the healing part of the plant.

Aloe-vera

Inhabitat

Here’s how to use it:

1. A Skin Healing Mask

Aloe vera is wonderful for not only healing acne scars but also for moisturizing the skin and keeping it youthful. It’s easy to make a healing facemask with nothing more than the gel of 1-2 aloe vera leaf halves. Mix this with some essential oil if you like for a nice scent (mint, thieves, and lavender are nice) or simply use it plain. Apply for 30 minutes and let it sit. It’s mild in scent on its own and has a particularly wonderful cooling feel.

2. A Sunburn Healing Gel

As many people know, aloe vera is wonderful for helping with sunburn. You’ve likely seen those sunburn gels at drugstores with aloe vera, but the better option that will provide many less chemicals is to just use real aloe leaf. It can help reduce redness and pain associated with sunburn fairly quickly and can be applied liberally as much as needed. You can apply the gel plain or can mix it with a carrier oil, such as coconut and hemp, for extra moisturizing and healing benefits.

3. Minor Skin Burns

This is the reason my grandmother always kept aloe on hand. Apparently she knew that her 12 grandchildren would have a few burns here and there. She was also a cook and liked to use it around if she touched a hot stove every now and then. I remember her always using aloe on our burns as children and though we thought she was weird, it always worked quickly. Aloe vera’s moisturizing and healing benefits transcend into the skin to reduce inflammation and aid in repair of the skin fairly quickly. To use it on a burn, apply just enough to coat the burn and cover with a bandage so it can do its job. Leave overnight and it should be better in the morning. The pain goes away almost immediately upon application, however.

4. Cuts and Wounds

The gel of the aloe vera plant contains polysacharride fibers, which is essentially why it’s used as a digestive aid (but that also makes it problematic for some people). These fibers also help to seal wounds and it’s natural cooling properties help soothe pain from cuts and wounds. Apply aloe to minor skin cuts and wounds after you’ve cleansed the area with a warm cloth and some peroxide (yes, that part stings). Then seal it up with a bandage and let it sit to heal overnight or for a day.

5. Itching or Skin Irritation

Psoriasis and skin irritation can both be a pain to deal with (literally) and can also be hard to manage. Many prescription creams and over the counter creams don’t work, and those that do often contain excess chemicals that are not best for our skins to absorb (parabens are common ingredient in these creams). Aloe is one of the best to relieve itching and irritation because it contains glycoproteins which help reduce inflammation upon contact.

What About Aloe for Internal Use?

aloe2

Wikipedia Commons

Another common use for aloe internally is to heal the digestive tract, so if you’re interested in using aloe as a digestive aid, feel free to try it. It’s a well-known use of this plant and many people attest that it works wonders for constipation. Aloe is also incredibly alkaline so it may help reduce inflammation in the stomach, along with feed good bacteria in the digestive tract thanks to its high fiber content and high water content. Just be mindful of how you react and if it causes laxative properties, pain, cramps, or you simply don’t react to it well, reduce or eliminate the amount you ingest and use aloe topically instead. For help with digestion, try some diet-based tips instead.

Let’s appreciate this spiny looking plant a bit more often than many of us do (or in my case, did). Like most plants, it’s got quite the impressive profile at keeping us healthy.

Do you use aloe for anything else besides these above? Share with us so we can give it a try too!

Lead Image Source: Flickr

Getting Set for Winter Gardens Begins in August

Lambsquarter: Why This Weed Deserves to Be in Your Garden

Foraging Berries in the Wild: It Can Be Fun, Safe, and Delicious

Easy Steps to Grow Your Own Horseradish

116 comments on “The 5 Best and Simplest Ways to Use Aloe Vera as a Natural Skin Remedy”

claraj
14 Days ago

I was diagnosed of Emphysema (copd)9 months ago which affected my breathing badly, my doctor advice me for Lungs Volume reduction surgery (LVRS) because my both upper lobes of the lungs were involved, i was making preparation for this when a friend of mine told me about a herbal doctor from Africa, doctor itama who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Emphysema, i contacted Dr itama via his email and he sent me Emphysema herbal medicine via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine i applied it as instructed and was totally cured of Emphysema within 10 days of usage, i never had to go for the surgery again as i was totally free from emphysema, all thanks to Dr itama contact Dr itama via his email [email protected] whatsapp number +2348165485326

willson care
18 Days ago

Thanks to dr.ezomo for his good work I never believe that ALS has cure, I was ALS over 3 year now before I came across a comment about how
dr.ezomo cure ALS and herpes disease but when I saw it i have it in mind
that he cant cure ALS I just decided to give it a try I contact him that
night luckily to me he replied me, but I dont believe him I thought it was
a scam but I still hold on to see the work of Dr ezomo if he is saying the
truth he ask for some details about me i gave him all he needed and I
waited to see his reply to my problem after all, he told me to go for check
up and I went for HIV test I cant believe I was negative,am so happy and
grateful to God for using Dr ezomo to cure me, that is the reason why i
decided to write this wonderful testimony of our i was cured, i recommend
Dr ezomo to you all around the world,contact him on his Email [email protected]
dr.ezomo for helping me at this young age if you need help contact,
He can also cure so many sickness
{1}HIV And AIDS
{2}Diabetes
{3}Epilepsy
{4} Blood Cancer
{5} HPV
{6} ALS
{7}herpes

sharon
19 Days ago

I was diagnose April 10,2015 and find out I’m HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don’t believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor’s here in USA few of them know’s about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of ARV DRUGS. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr Alabi who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 3 weeks to get cured,I did for 3 weeks, within this 3 weeks i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result it was absolutely Negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn’t shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on ARV DRUGS,if you are HIV positive please contact my savior [email protected]
or WHATSAPP him through this number +2349055346865

laura
19 Days ago

Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from HIV for the past 18 months now; I have spent a lot of money going from one places to another, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how doctor Alabi helped someone to cure HIV, I quickly copied his email address: [email protected]
just to give him a try I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then after using the herbal medication for 2 weeks, he asked me to go for medical check up which i did and I was free from the HIV disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just whatsapp him or call on +2349055346865
You are the next person to get cured. You can also contact him on any sickness in this he all have the herbal cure to it .HERPES VIRUS, DIABETES, CANCER, HEPATITIS B, SORES,WARTS,HPV.

Jasmin Rajeev
23 Days ago

(MUST READ) I was diagnosed of ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) a rapidly progressive, invariably fatal neurological disease that attacks the nerve cells, I was given medications to slow down the progress of the disease, after some months my conditioned worsened and i lost ability to go about my daily activities and i had to quit my job, my legs and arms were terribly weakened, i resorted to a wheelchair (Perbombil C300). This was till my husband\'s friend introduced my husband to a herbal clinic in Africa who sell herbal medicines to cure all kind of diseases like Cancer, Low sperm count,Erectile dysfunction, Barrenness, HPV, Herpes, Genital Wart,Parkinson disease, Rare disease, Hepatitis, Syphilis,Diabetes, including ALS, we contacted the herbal clinic via their email and purchased the ALS herbal remedy, we received the herbal medicine via courier within 5 days and commenced usage as prescribed, its totally unexplained how all the symptoms gradually disappeared, my speech has greatly improved and am able to walk a distance now with no help, contact this herbal clinic via their contact information

Name: Dr. Osaro Enoma
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +2347080105058.
facebook. @natureroot.herbs

ryn jacop
23 Days ago

2016 I was told I had mild emphysema, and COPD. I was shocked, I had only had minor breathing problems at times. However I had smoked for 17 years when I was very young and had quit over 38 years ago, when I developed asthma. I always heard your lungs were cleared 5 years after you quit smoking,If not for total cure herbal treatment i would\'ve still be at oxygen all time,the herbal remedies has terminate the the symptoms and im fully cured of this disease in only 15 weeks of usage,the ,breathing difficulty has fully relief me and i started sleeping like a baby again after the first three weeks of usage,do not hesitate to contact them on this address because the foundation has the right formula for this lung diseases :https://totalcureherbalfou5.wixsite.com/herbal/contact [email protected]

larry clement

I am very glad to be sharing with everyone here for the marvelous work Dr Osagie has done for my life, i was diagnosed of hiv virus and ever since i have been very unhappy, i so down broken everyday, until one day when i came across a shocking testimony about how Dr Osagie cured someone of her hiv virus, without wasting much time i contacted him immediately on his email [email protected] OR
[email protected] or WhatsApp him /call his Mobile: +2347030465649 He can also cure different types of disease
-COLD SORE
-ALS
-LOW9ER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
-LOW SPERM COUNT
-STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
-STROKE

Walter foster

Finding out I have herpes simplex virus wasn\'t easy. But as time has passed, I have slowly come to terms with it and try to tackle it with a positive attitude. In mid-2012 I became quite ill. I developed persistent flu-like symptoms, headaches, a nagging cough and sores that wouldn\'t heal. My skin felt as if it was crawling, my legs ached, I felt nauseous and lost weight. Then exhaustion hit. It is an indescribable tiredness. I started using Best Health Herbal Centre HSV herbal formula this year. After 5 weeks of usage, my HSV was totally reversed, all my symptoms was terminated and am now HSV negative... To know more about Best Health Herbal Centre visit ww w besthealthherbalcentre c om Thanks..

syari rose

i am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with
the herbal medicine of Dr Ogbela, i have been suffering from this disease
for the past 2 years and 7 mouth without solution until i came across the
email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine,
i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me
what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and
direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he
ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 4days which i did, to my
greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that
there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To
all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting
it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not
actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the
public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that
there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their
family just because of these diseases so you can e mail him on (
[email protected])
or you can also whatsapp him on +2348136354191
he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below
. HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.
.ALS
. CANCER
.HEPATITIS
.HIV/AIDS

Jayden madison

I found out that I have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease three years ago. I quit smoking for a few days and started back up because it seems everyone around me smokes, my boyfriend, daughters, son-in-law and it makes it so hard to truly quit and yes I know I\'m slowly killing myself. I\'ve been a smoker for 38 years was down to three or four cigarettes a day then started smoking like crazy again. I really do want to quit just don\'t have the willpower! So if you don\'t smoke now don\'t ever start,because if not for this herbal remedies i bought from total cure herbal foundation i believed i should av been with my tank now, it\'s no fun getting this sick and trying to fight the urge not to smoke. I hurt so bad everyday, my back and my lungs. I wake myself up at night with my wheezing. I cough all the time I cant breath when I\'m laying down. I use 2 different inhalers three to four times a day and also do breathing treatments at home.But i was able to get rid of this disease totally through the means of [email protected] which i purchase from them,this herbal foundation are the only place where you can find the right herbal medicine to any diseases including COPD emphysema.