When I was a child, I remember my grandmother always had an aloe plant around. I thought it was a bit strange, not so pretty like most plants my mom had at home, and I never understood why she felt it necessary to have not just one, but several of these spiny looking plants around without blooms or pretty leaves. Until I became interested in health, natural medicine, and natural lifestyle factors 10 years ago, the idea of using a plant to help heal the body didn’t make a bit of sense. However, like most plants, aloe is one that has many benefits and has been used for thousands of years to help heal a variety of health issues. It’s also very easy to grow at home and makes an easy houseplant to keep around for simple skin “emergencies” or needs.

You may have seen aloe vera gels and juices at health food stores that you can purchase, which are made from the gel that’s found in the leaves of the aloe plant. While you can certainly use these if you like, the whole plant leaves are actually very simple to use at home and are much more affordable too. If you already have an aloe plant, all you have to do is take a mature leaf, slice it open lengthwise, and scoop out the gel out of one of the leaves. The gel is essentially the healing part of the plant.

Aloe-vera

Inhabitat

Here’s how to use it:

1. A Skin Healing Mask

Aloe vera is wonderful for not only healing acne scars but also for moisturizing the skin and keeping it youthful. It’s easy to make a healing facemask with nothing more than the gel of 1-2 aloe vera leaf halves. Mix this with some essential oil if you like for a nice scent (mint, thieves, and lavender are nice) or simply use it plain. Apply for 30 minutes and let it sit. It’s mild in scent on its own and has a particularly wonderful cooling feel.

2. A Sunburn Healing Gel

As many people know, aloe vera is wonderful for helping with sunburn. You’ve likely seen those sunburn gels at drugstores with aloe vera, but the better option that will provide many less chemicals is to just use real aloe leaf. It can help reduce redness and pain associated with sunburn fairly quickly and can be applied liberally as much as needed. You can apply the gel plain or can mix it with a carrier oil, such as coconut and hemp, for extra moisturizing and healing benefits.

3. Minor Skin Burns

This is the reason my grandmother always kept aloe on hand. Apparently she knew that her 12 grandchildren would have a few burns here and there. She was also a cook and liked to use it around if she touched a hot stove every now and then. I remember her always using aloe on our burns as children and though we thought she was weird, it always worked quickly. Aloe vera’s moisturizing and healing benefits transcend into the skin to reduce inflammation and aid in repair of the skin fairly quickly. To use it on a burn, apply just enough to coat the burn and cover with a bandage so it can do its job. Leave overnight and it should be better in the morning. The pain goes away almost immediately upon application, however.

4. Cuts and Wounds

The gel of the aloe vera plant contains polysacharride fibers, which is essentially why it’s used as a digestive aid (but that also makes it problematic for some people). These fibers also help to seal wounds and it’s natural cooling properties help soothe pain from cuts and wounds. Apply aloe to minor skin cuts and wounds after you’ve cleansed the area with a warm cloth and some peroxide (yes, that part stings). Then seal it up with a bandage and let it sit to heal overnight or for a day.

5. Itching or Skin Irritation

Psoriasis and skin irritation can both be a pain to deal with (literally) and can also be hard to manage. Many prescription creams and over the counter creams don’t work, and those that do often contain excess chemicals that are not best for our skins to absorb (parabens are common ingredient in these creams). Aloe is one of the best to relieve itching and irritation because it contains glycoproteins which help reduce inflammation upon contact.

What About Aloe for Internal Use?

aloe2

Wikipedia Commons

Another common use for aloe internally is to heal the digestive tract, so if you’re interested in using aloe as a digestive aid, feel free to try it. It’s a well-known use of this plant and many people attest that it works wonders for constipation. Aloe is also incredibly alkaline so it may help reduce inflammation in the stomach, along with feed good bacteria in the digestive tract thanks to its high fiber content and high water content. Just be mindful of how you react and if it causes laxative properties, pain, cramps, or you simply don’t react to it well, reduce or eliminate the amount you ingest and use aloe topically instead. For help with digestion, try some diet-based tips instead.

Let’s appreciate this spiny looking plant a bit more often than many of us do (or in my case, did). Like most plants, it’s got quite the impressive profile at keeping us healthy.

Do you use aloe for anything else besides these above? Share with us so we can give it a try too!

Lead Image Source: Flickr

7 Reasons Weedy Lawns Are Better Than Fancy Grass

7 Things to Know About Our New BFFs: Bees

10 Early Blooming Flowers for Your Spring Flower Bed

The Basics for Starting an Asparagus Patch

116 comments on “The 5 Best and Simplest Ways to Use Aloe Vera as a Natural Skin Remedy”

KANE
11 Days ago

I was smoking since the age of 16. Last year I went for lung functioning tests! I am now 66. I was experiencing bad cough, large amounts of mucus, very little energy, and continued smoking. I visited my doctor and a chest x-ray was carried out, guess what, i was diagnosed of COPD. I took Spiriva 30/C/Dev 18 mcg every day for three months no changes,after using COPD herbal formula i purchased from BEST HEALTH HERBAL CENTRE for 5 weeks,my airflow was perfect,no more cough and chest tightness was over .All thanks to God for leading to BEST HEALTH HERBAL CENTRE. please visit their website for more information.. ww w. besthealthherbalcentre. com

Jayden madison
17 Days ago

I found out that I have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease three years ago. I quit smoking for a few days and started back up because it seems everyone around me smokes, my boyfriend, daughters, son-in-law and it makes it so hard to truly quit and yes I know I\'m slowly killing myself. I\'ve been a smoker for 38 years was down to three or four cigarettes a day then started smoking like crazy again. I really do want to quit just don\'t have the willpower! So if you don\'t smoke now don\'t ever start,because if not for this herbal remedies i bought from total cure herbal foundation i believed i should av been with my tank now, it\'s no fun getting this sick and trying to fight the urge not to smoke. I hurt so bad everyday, my back and my lungs. I wake myself up at night with my wheezing. I cough all the time I cant breath when I\'m laying down. I use 2 different inhalers three to four times a day and also do breathing treatments at home.But i was able to get rid of this disease totally through the means of [email protected] which i purchase from them,this herbal foundation are the only place where you can find the right herbal medicine to any diseases including COPD emphysema.

Zahari Chriss

I was diagnosed with COPD & emphysema in May of this year. I have been smoke free for 14 months. I quit because my first granddaughter was going to be born! I didn\'t want to smell like an ashtray when I held her! Since then I have been having trouble breathing, gained twenty pounds since quitting smoking I was exercising and not losing any weight, seeing a dietician and being told to quit eating practically! I was depressed and feeling like nothing is working! There\'s got to be a way to make me feel like my chest isn\'t so tight feeling like something is stuck in my chest. I lost touch with reality.I started on Health Herbal Clinic COPD Herbal formula treatment in August 2017, i read alot of positive reviews on their success rate treating COPD disease through their Herbal formula and i immediately started on the treatment. Just 7 weeks into the Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with MY breething ,I am unbelievably back on my feet again, this is a breakthrough for all COPD Patients, visit Health Herbal Clinic official website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email [email protected] healthherbalclinic. net.This treatment is incredible!

Erika Walid

my mum who is 61 years old but 30 years old in her mind, has was diagnosed with severve copd, she was admitted into hospital in june 09 with an exberation of copd, she was hospitalized less than two months later and i must say alot lot worse, her sats dropped to 47 and me (her daughter) my brother and sister were called as things turned for the worse.she has to go home after a someone in the hospital recommended herbal clinic to us thankfully after three weeks and the shere determination of my mums will to live shes home, she was connected to oxygen 24hours a day, very tired,cant do things for herself. but shes alive!! this is a horrible condition for any human being to have to go thru but i can proudly say she is fully cure of COPD diease,for anyone in this condition must contact (totalcureherbalfoundation @ gmail. com / https:// totalcureherbalfou. wixsite.com /website)

Gary Roger

I was recently free from Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(emphysema)if not from total cure herbal foundation,i suffered with copd emphysema disease for over 9yrs which i smoke for 29 years,it wasn\'t easy in anyway living with this deadly disease,i cried for help everyday which i also spend almost all my money on, i was at the point i nearly gave up because i heard a lot of stories that there was no cure for it,i tried all the medications doctor around gave to me yet nothing happened tho it was able to be control at least,august 23rd 2017 i came across an article someone explaining how she was cured by TOTAL CURE HERBAL FOUNDATION in Joburg,so i contacted totalcureherbalfoundation @ gmail. com....and their website ....https :/ /totalcureherbalfou .wixsite.com /website to see if this was true,but right now i;m here giving the same similar testimony on how they gave me alternative way to cure this disease with their organic natural herbal products without any side effect,do email them now to see for yourself.

Rita Gunnarson

I was not really having a problem breathing at first. My throat was burning; I thought I had strep throat. I had pain in my neck, and there was swelling around my collar bone. The first doctor I went to said he did not know why there was swelling. He gave me antibiotics and told me that if the swelling was not better to come back in two weeks. I went back in two weeks and he said he did not know what was wrong. Since I do not have insurance, I went to a hospital emergency room, and they said I have COPD.The disease does not improve. My "good days" are far and few these days. My dad and his dad died from this. I am only writing this to inform others that nothing was really working to help my condition.I started on COPD herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic,i read reviews from other previous patients who used the herbal formula, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the COPD natural herbal formula. i am now doing very well, my lungs are totally repaired!! Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email [email protected] healthherbalclinic. net

Harmony

Hello I’m Harmony William by name, I’m giving a testimony about Dr. successful the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my COPD disease, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different herbalists, I was like: “Many people have the COPD cure why are people still suffering from it?” I thought of it, then I contact Dr. successful via email, I didn’t believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared the CURE and sent it to me via UPS courier service, they told me that it will take 3-4 days before I’ll get the product, 3 days later I received the product and I started taking the medicine as prescribed by him, after 7 days of taking the medicine I went for check-up, I was tested COPD NEGATIVE… IF YOU ARE SERIOUS YOU WILL BE CURED!!! all thanks Dr. successful to Contact this great herbal doctor via his email
[email protected] or [email protected] https://drsuccessfulcuring.wixsite.com/drsucessful.. or talk to him via mobal number +2349054910629 thanks or [email protected]

cooper jaxon

I was diagnosed COPD with bronchiectasis for almost 6 years now after having coughed daily for all the previous years. Amoxicillin and Rulide failed to work on this flair up so am on ciprofloxacin, So much time and money is being spent here in NZ making sure that the doctors and nursing staff are treating patients but yet nothing is happening,if not for a herbal medicine i wont be able to get rid of this disease,please email this herbal center and it\'s %100 guarantee that you will be cured totally .
[email protected]

Carol Smith

Good Day
To all that have COPD or Emphysema should please stop here and read up my story, So as you will know how to get your Healing. I had Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) for 8 years, and it really affected me and my family expecially my kids and husband, some of my symptoms were dry cough, chest tightness and shortness of breath. Am writing this article to appreciate the good work of General Health Center, that helped me get read of my COPD/Emphysema that i have had for about 8years now, with no cure. i glanced through the internet a certain evening about remedy/healing for COPD, i saw so many comments about General Health Center HEALING for COPD and other Diseases, I was really ready to give a try because if i don\'t give them a try i wont know if they can really heal this COPD, so I decided to contact THEM for a HEALING/CURE and i was given lists of foods and fruits i should be eating during the Process of healing/treatments, then i order the HERBAL HEALING MEDICINE FOR A COMPLETE CURE, i started usage immediately, in exact 3weeks i started getting re-leaf of my symptoms and i kept using the Medicine and after about 6weeks i was asked to go for a complete check up and i was amazed to see that I am totally HEALED from COPD....

its a worst thing to have COPD/EMPHYSEMA as a being, so contact GENERAL HEALTH CENTER TODAY A LIFE TIME HEALING. contact them on email:([email protected]) OR ([email protected]). Website for more info: http://generalhealthherbalcental.simplesite.com
AMERICA/AUSTRALIA/CANADA call or text +12145062158 ........ Africa, Asia, Europe call or text +27642503281

rebecca callahan

My dad was diagnosed of Emphysema (COPD) in 2014 and we have tried all possible means to get cured, we even visited pulmonologist but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal doctor from joburg who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Emphysema, at first i doubted if it was real but we decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email he sent me the Emphysema herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave us step by instructions on how to apply it, three weeks later my dad went back for test and he was informed that he was free from this deadly disease.
Here are the information to contact this doctor abumereherbalcentre @ gmail. com OR http: // abumereherbalcentre . com