These delicious Zucchini Boats come together in 20-30 minutes and are perfect for all diets: vegans, paleo, vegetarian, dairy-free or omnivores.
Zucchini Boats [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/3-1/2 large yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds meatless grounds
- 1 tomato, diced
- 4 medium zucchini squash
- ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle over zucchini
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- optional: nutritional yeast, vegan ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Prepare zucchini by rinsing, trimming ends and halving. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the fleshy middle from each half.
- Place zucchini halves cut-side up on a baking sheet. Use your hands to rub both sides with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Heat coconut oil over medium-low heat in saute pan. Add diced onion and saute, stirring, for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, oregano and turmeric. Then stir in meatless grounds, incorporating well.
- Stir in tomatoes and turn off heat.
- Remove zucchini boats from oven. Use a spoon to fill each boat. Top with nutritional yeast or leave it plain. (Or drizzle with vegan ranch!) Feel free to add vegan feta cheese as well. Enjoy immediately!
- These are great reheated the next day. Use the extra filling to sprinkle over salad, or to make tacos or burritos. Enjoy!