You won’t have to be an avid baker to whip up this yogurt mandarin cake. This delicious dessert will impress all of your party guests with its unique flavors, yet will only take about thirty minutes to prepare. The fresh mandarin oranges provide a fruity tang and complement the roasted flavor of the almonds quite nicely, in addition to adding visual interest. The glaze is light and sweet and substitutes a traditionally heavy cake frosting, for a fresh twist.
Mandarin Cake With Amaranth Crust [Vegan, Gluten Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mandarin Cake With Amaranth Crust [Vegan, Gluten Free]
For the Crust:
- 2/3 cup roasted almonds
- 1 1/4 cups popped amaranth
- 4 1/2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 pinches ground vanilla
- 1 pinch iodized sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dark almond butter
For the Yogurt Filling:
- 6 mandarin oranges
- 8 teaspoons agar agar
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 5 1/3 cups soy yogurt
For the Glaze:
- 3/4 cup canned mandarin oranges (without added sugar, drained)
- 4 mandarin oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon agar agar
How to Prepare Mandarin Cake With Amaranth Crust [Vegan, Gluten Free]
To Make the Crust:
- Finely grind the roasted almonds in a kitchen blender.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the crust with a fork.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Place the dough into the pan, and press out evenly.
To Make the Yogurt Filling:
- Squeeze just over 3/4 cup of juice from the mandarin oranges.
- Stir the mandarin juice, agar agar, and agave syrup quickly to avoid lumps from forming.
- Bring to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and then quickly fold in the yogurt with a whisk.
- Spread the yogurt mixture on the crust and set in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.
To Make the Glaze:
- Drain the canned mandarin oranges and arrange them in a circular pattern on top of the cake.
- Squeeze the juice from the fresh mandarin oranges (makes about 2/3 cup), and mix with the agar agar in a small saucepan.
- Cook approximately 30 seconds while stirring with a whisk.
- Pour the juice on top of the cake in the spring-form pan.
- Put it back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 315 | Carbs: 52 g | Fat: 11 g | Protein: 11 g | Sodium: 40 mg | Sugar: 40 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.