Nothing is more fun than serving something up in dinnerware that is edible! These wonton bowls are super easy to make and fun to fill with fried quinoa or anything else you want!
Wonton Bowls with Garlic-Fried Quinoa [Vegan]
For Garlic Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped ginger
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For Garlic-Fried Quinoa:
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets (just the florets), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups julienned or grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Sriracha hot sauce (optional)
- 3 scallions, chopped on a bias
To make the Wonton Bowls:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a jumbo muffin tin with 6 cavities with cooking spray.
- If using wonton wrappers, overlap 4 wrappers to create 1 large wrapper that is 6 x 6 inches (15 x 15 cm). Overlap the small wontons in the middle, wet the edges where they overlap, and press down to seal the pieces together to create the large wrapper. Repeat with the remaining wrappers until there are 6 larger ones.
- Transfer the large wontons or egg roll wrappers to the prepared muffin tin and gently press each one into a cavity to create a bowl shape. Coat the wontons lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
To make the Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger; sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are softened and the mixture is fragrant.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a high-speed blender. Add the broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Blend for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Transfer back to the skillet set over medium-low heat. Cook about 3 minutes, or until it begins to bubble and thickens slightly.
- Transfer to a bowl.
To make the Garlic-Fried Quinoa:
- Wipe out the skillet used for the sauce, add the oil, and set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, broccoli, and peas. Sauté 2 to 4 minutes, or until the broccoli is fork-tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the carrots and cabbage, mixing until well combined. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the quinoa and cook for an additional 2 minutes to heat through. Add the garlic sauce and mix well.
- Divide the quinoa mixture among the wonton bowls. Drizzle with Sriracha, if using.
- Sprinkle with the scallions, and serve with a set of chopsticks sticking up out of the bowl.
This is an awesome go-to lunch item during the week. Prepare just the sauce and Garlic-Fried Quinoa and portion into 2 to 4 containers for a quick on-the-go option during a busy week; leave the wonton bowls for another time!