A rissole is a type of French croquette or fritter that's made from savory ingredients held together using bread crumbs, fried. These seasonal rissoles combine quinoa and roasted winter squash, along with roast pecans for crunch and kale for a hint of green. They're both light and crisp, a wonderful idea for a light lunch or dinner.
Winter Squash and Quinoa Rissoles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Rissoles:
- 4-5 cups seeded, peeled, and cubed winter squash
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, plus 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup roasted pecans
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups loosely packed kale
- Sea salt, to taste
- Dried hot pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the Aioli:
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
To Make the Rissoles:
- Steam or roast winter squash until tender. This will vary depending on the type of squash you're using. Rinse quinoa under cold water, bring 1 cup water to a boil and cook quinoa for 12-15 minutes until water is absorbed. Pulse pecans, kale, and dried hot pepper in food processor.
- Add cooked squash and pulse a few times until squash begins to combine with kale and pecans. Add quinoa, flour, and salt, process for about 30 seconds until a mixture begins to form, careful not to overmix. Allow mixture to slightly cool, enough to comfortably handle. Alternately by hand, mash the winter squash, finely chop the pecans and pepper and shred the kale.
- If making in advance mixture can be refrigerated at this point until ready to use.Taking 1/2 cup at a time, form mixture into patties/discs or use a 1/4 cup
- Taking 1/2 cup at a time, form mixture into patties/discs or use a 1/4 cup appetizer-size bites.
- Pan-fry in a pan lightly coated with coconut oil and fry each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes over medium-low heat (do not overcrowd your pan) continue until all the mixture is formed and fried.
- Keep rissoles warm in a 250°F oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with a maple aioli or cranberry chutney over a bed of herbs and fall greens.
To Make the Aioli:
- Combine maple syrup and vegan mayonnaise and stir until well mixed