Instead of traditional tomato sauce, the crust of this pizza is smeared with luscious onion cream. On top of the onion cream, there are caramelized fennel, roasted grapes, capers, and a handful of walnuts. Roasting accentuates the sweetness of the grapes and makes them taste almost like raisins. Roasted grapes arethe perfect pairing to salty capers which balance the sweetness of the dish. After baking the pizza is garnished with some arugula and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Arugula and the vinegar bring a little edge and pepperiness to the otherwise mellow dish
White Pizza With Fennel and Roasted Grapes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for White Pizza With Fennel and Roasted Grapes [Vegan]
For the Pizza:
- Pizza dough of your choice
- Onion cream (recipe follows)
- Roasted grapes (recipe follows)
- Caramelized fennel (recipe follows)
- A handful of walnuts
- A handful of capers
- Balsamic syrup or balsamic reduction
For the Onion Cream:
- 3 middle-sized yellow onions, unpeeled
- 5 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- About 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Roasted Grapes:
- About 10.5 ounces red grapes
- Olive oil
For the Caramelized Fennel:
- 1 large or 2 small-ish fennel bulbs
- A pinch of salt
- Olive oil
How to Prepare White Pizza With Fennel and Roasted Grapes [Vegan]
- Prepare the crust first.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Line baking tray with parchment paper and set whole, unpeeled onions on it.
- Coat onions with a drizzle of olive oil and cut the tops off the garlic cloves. Set garlic cloves on a piece of kitchen foil, drizzle with olive oil, and wrap them inside the foil.
- Set onions and garlic to oven for 45 minutes, or until onions are browned. Let them cool down after roasting. Remove browned onion peels and add onions to blender. Press the bottoms of garlic cloves and squeeze soft garlic to blender. Add rest of the ingredients as well and blend everything to smooth cream.
- Wash grapes and dry them thoroughly. Drizzle grapes with olive oil and roast for 15 minutes in 390°F. This can be done at the same time as roasting onions and garlic.
- Cut fennel stalks off. Cut fennels to slices lengthwise and half each slice.
- Preheat some olive oil on large skillet. Arrange fennel slices on the skillet and season with salt. Fry over medium heat, about 5 minutes per side. Fennel slices should turn to golden brown. Do the frying in batches, if needed.
- Preheat oven to 440°F. Shape pizza dough into two 8 inch discs. Pre-bake pizza crusts for 7 minutes.
- Spread onion cream on top the pre-baked crust. Arrange fennel slices, roasted grapes, caramelized fennel, capers, and walnuts over onion cream.
- Bake 3 minutes, or until toppings are heated through. Garnish pizzas with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
To Make the Onion Cream:
To Make the Roasted Grapes:
To Make the Caramelized Fennel:
To Make the Pizza:
90 calories of Black Grapes, (0.75 cup) 30 calories of grape seed oil, (0.25 tbsp) 8 calories of Organic cane sugar, (0.50 tsp) -Testing
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Fennel Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 171 mg sodium; 288 mg potassium.-TestingNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.