This ragu is a no-fuss, quick recipe, great for busy weeknights and weekend lunches. The addition of protein-packed white beans adds texture while leaving room for the tomato sauce to shine. As for the spinach, it adds color as well as a taste of green!
White Bean and Spinach Ragu [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounce canned whole tomatoes, crushed with fingers
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegan red wine
- 1 19-ounce can white beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley)
- A pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, on medium heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, beans, bay leave, basil, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low until tomatoes have cooked down a bit, and sauce has thickened. This should take about 25 minutes.
- A few minutes before serving, remove the bay leave and add the spinach. This gives it enough time to wilt, but it will still retain it’s bright green color.
- Serve over pasta.