The ingredients are simple enough: a hot pepper, one carrot, half a lemon, half an onion, vinegar, water, molasses, cumin, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, salt, and whiskey. The method is simple, too. Boil the peppers and vegetables in water and vinegar, then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a few minutes. Then puree and store! You can use it in sandwiches, as a dip, as a dressing—the possibilities are endless!
Whiskey Hot Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 whole habanero pepper, without the seeds, roughly chopped
- 2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Heat the water and vinegar in a small saucepan.
- Add the peppers (habanero and chipotle), onion, and carrot. Let it come to a simmer, then cover and continue simmering over low heat until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When soft, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then puree in a blender or food processor.
- Transfer to a glass container and allow to cool completely. Keep in the refrigerator for up to a year.