If you’re yet to find the perfect vegan cheese-on-toast substitute, may I present this cheesy, gooey, stretchy Welsh rarebit? It is cashew-based, which results in a rich flavor and texture. This cheese is also amazing for pizzas and toasties.
Welsh Rarebit [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast extract, plus extra to drizzle (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion granules
- a small pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup stout beer
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 4 slices bread
- Soak the cashews in 1/2 cup of just-boiled water for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the rest of the cheese ingredients to a high-powered blender. Tip in the cashews, along with the water they have been soaking in, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2–3 minutes, or until very thick and stretchy.
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to high and lightly toast the bread on both sides. Divide the cheesy mixture between the slices and spread over generously.
- Drizzle on some extra yeast extract, if you like. Grill (broil) for 3–5 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.