Fresh light summer salad popping with juicy watermelon, heirloom tomato, cucumber, quinoa, mint, and roasted sunflower seeds. Perfect for summer lunch!
Watermelon Quinoa Kale Salad [Vegan]
- one bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped
- drizzle of avocado oil
- squeeze of lemon
- Himalayan sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw or roasted sunflower seeds
- 3–4 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- 1 large or 2 small heirloom tomatoes, diced
- handful of mint leaves, torn
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1/4 cup herbed nut cheese, crumbled (optional)
- First, prepare the quinoa according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, wash and chop the fruit and vegetables and set aside.
- Add torn kale to a large bowl and drizzle a tiny bit of avocado oil and a squeeze of lemon. Massage the kale with your hands to soften the kale. Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to break down to leaves.
- While the kale is marinading, dice the watermelon into 1″ cubes, slice the cucumber finely with a mandoline slicer, and dice the tomato and set aside for assembly.
- To assemble the salad, divide the massaged kale between bowls and toss with cooked quinoa, cucumber, optional herbed nut cheese, watermelon, sunflower seeds, and fresh mint.
- Top with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
- Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.