Fresh light summer salad popping with juicy watermelon, heirloom tomato, cucumber, quinoa, mint, and roasted sunflower seeds. Perfect for summer lunch!
Watermelon Quinoa Kale Salad [Vegan]
- One bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped
- Drizzle of avocado oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- Himalayan sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw or roasted sunflower seeds
- 3–4 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- 1 large or 2 small heirloom tomatoes, diced
- Handful of mint leaves, torn
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup herbed nut cheese, crumbled (optional)
- First, prepare the quinoa according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, wash and chop the fruit and vegetables and set them aside.
- Add torn kale to a large bowl and drizzle a tiny bit of avocado oil and a squeeze of lemon. Massage the kale with your hands to soften the kale. Season with Himalayan sea salt and black pepper and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to break down to leaves.
- While the kale is marinating, dice the watermelon into 1″ cubes, slice the cucumber finely with a mandoline slicer, dice the tomato and set it aside for assembly.
- To assemble the salad, divide the massaged kale between bowls and toss with cooked quinoa, cucumber, optional herbed nut cheese, watermelon, sunflower seeds, and fresh mint.
- Top with sunflower seeds and serve immediately.
- Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.