Vinegret is traditionally beets tossed with some other root veggies, vinegar, and pickles.This sort-of-traditional take on the Russian beet salad is cheap, healthy, and easy to make. This recipe swaps out the vinegar in favor of fresh lemon juice that adds the perfect level of acidity to the dish.
Vinegret: Russian Beet Salad [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Vinegret:
- 1.5 pounds potatoes
- 1.5 pounds carrots
- 2 pounds beets
- 1 medium-size red onion
- 1/2 of a purple cabbage (about 1 pound's worth of purple cabbage)
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons grated or crushed garlic
- 2 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Salt, to taste
- Peel and dice the potatoes, beets, carrots, and onion.
- Bring some water to a boil and allow the potatoes and beets to boil, covered for 20 minutes over medium heat. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking.
- While the carrots and potatoes are cooking, steam the beets. You can either steam them over the same pot you’re using to boil, or use a separate pot. Beets should steam for about 10 minutes.
- Mince the cabbage till very small.
- Toss the cabbage, the potatoes, the beets, the carrots, and the onion together.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Let sit several hours if possible.