These quick pickles need no boiling — just a day in the refrigerator! The most labor-intensive part of this recipe is julienning all the veggies. But you don’t even have to do that if you’re feeling lazy. You can easily just cut typical slices of cucumber, carrot, and daikon and you’ll have the exact same pickles, just different shape. Once they're read, you can use them to top your vegan banh mi sandwich. You can also put them on sandwiches, salads, or just eat them straight from the jar— just don’t make the mistake of drinking the juice!
Vietnamese Quick Pickles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium cucumber, julienned
- 1 medium daikon, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Julienne all your vegetables and place into a large mason jar or two medium-sized mason jars.
- Mix up your vinegar, water, sugar, and salt until salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture evenly over the vegetables in the jar(s). Cover with lid and refrigerate for at least one day or up to five days for maximum flavor. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, optional.