This fresh and spicy summer salad topped with crunchy roasted peanuts is perfect for your next vegan barbecue or as a side dish to your favorite Asian stir-fry.
Recipe from Vegan Everything: 100 Easy Recipes for Any Craving © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer, 2019. Translation © Luisa Weiss, 2019. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
Vietnamese Cucumber Salad with Cilantro and Roasted Peanuts [Vegan, Gluten Free]
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 tablespoon unsalted raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 scallions
- 1 fresh Thai red chile
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds with a spoon. Cut the cucumber into half-moons ½ inch (13 mm) thick and arrange on a serving plate.
- Toast the peanuts and sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Thinly slice the scallions, chile, and garlic. Distribute them evenly over the cucumber.
- For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar and agave syrup. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
- Top with the mint and cilantro and the toasted seeds and nuts.