This vegan Velveeta dip has a mild flavor that can be used to accompany so many different foods. It has a creamy cashew base and is flavored with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, tahini, paprika, and salt. Feel free to add nooch too! It’s quite simple to make––just mix and then heat in a saucepan. This vegan velveeta is so nostalgic and perfect for parties. You have to give it a try!
‘Vegveeta’ Cheese Dip [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or 1/8 cup pine nuts)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup and 1-3 tablespoons plain unsweetened almond milk (see note)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for color)
- optional: 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until very, very smooth (start with 1 cup + 1 tablespoon milk). Transfer mixture to a small/medium saucepan, and heat over low/low-medium heat for 5-8 minutes, until mixture is starting to slowly bubble and thicken (stir frequently through heating). To thin sauce slightly, stir in another 1-2 tablespoonp of milk. Avoid thickening sauce over high heat (or increasing heat too quickly), since this sauce can scorch easily. Once sauce has thickened, transfer to a serving dish… and get dipping!
Use plain unsweetened almond milk in this cheese dip. It has a more neutral flavor than soy milk, and isn’t sweet-tasting as rice and hemp milks can be. Try using the almond milk if you can. *The color of this dip will deepen with heating. When first blended, it is quite light without much color, but with heating, more yellow/orange color develops. For a nacho “Vegveeta”-style dip, try stirring about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of your fave salsa into the heated sauce. Other add-in’s to consider (add after blending/warming sauce): - a handful of sliced green onions - chopped sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed, drained) or fresh chopped tomatoes - sliced olives - chopped parsley or cilantro. - for heat-lovers, a few tablespoons of chopped jalapeno peppers or a few dashes of hot sauce.