This savory amaranth pilaf is hearty, delicious, and aromatic. The grains supply energy for long days, the fresh vegetables give the dish some added nutrition, and the coconut adds some extra flavor. Add this sticky pilaf as a side dish to your next chik'n cutlet dinner.
Vegetable Coconut Amaranth Pilaf [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 4 dry red chilies, broken
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups amaranth, cooked
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry coconut flakes
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to crackle add white sesame seeds and broken dry red chilies.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent (not brown).
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for couple of minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add shredded coconut and sauté till you get the aroma of coconut, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and lemon juice to it and mix properly.
- Lastly, add boiled amaranth and mix with a wooden spoon since amaranth would be sticky.
- Garnish and serve warm with lemon wedges.