This warming stew is both high protein and packed with veggies!
Vegetable and Chickpea Stew [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1‑inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baharat
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28‑ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, chopped
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2‑inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 (15‑ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- Using highest sauté function, heat oil in Instant Pot until shimmering. Add bell pepper, onion, salt, and pepper and cook until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in baharat, garlic, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth and tomatoes and reserved juice, scraping up any browned bits, then stir in potatoes.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 9 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot and quick-release pressure. Carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Stir zucchini and chickpeas into stew and cook, using highest sauté function, until zucchini is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off multi-cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle individual portions with extra oil, and sprinkle with mint before serving.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile