My Tofu Scallops are so delicious and they make a beautiful presentation. Serve them over pasta or in a scampi or just make a bunch to serve as an appetizer or hors d’oeuvres. Enjoy!
Tofu ‘Scallops’ [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Tofu ‘Scallops’ [Vegan]
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained (choose organic/non-GMO)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- Kosher salt
- Kelp flakes
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Lemon slices
How to Prepare Tofu ‘Scallops’ [Vegan]
- Cut the block of tofu in half and then cut each half in two width-wise. You should have 4 thin rectangles. Use a round cookie cutter to cut tofu "coins." Save the leftover tofu pieces for a stir-fry. Using a paring knife, cut a shallow X in the top and bottom of each scallop.
- Combine the tamari and the broth in a shallow bowl. Marinate the scallops for at least 30 minutes. Remove them from the marinade and pat the scallops dry with a paper towel. If they are wet, they will not sear in the pan. Sprinkle the scallops with a bit of salt, kelp flakes, and Old Bay Seasoning on both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and the butter to the pan. When the butter melts, carefully place each scallop in the pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan; if your pan can’t hold all 8 scallops comfortably, cook them in two batches. Once you put the scallop down, don’t move it. Don’t touch it. Let it form a sear. You should be able to see the bottom of the scallop browning.
- After about 2 minutes, carefully flip the scallops over and cook on the other side. While the secondn side is cooking, tilt the pan and use a large spoon to baste the tops of the scallops with the butter and oil. This will keep them from drying out. You should see the sides of the scallops turning brown like pretty rings. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain before serving. Serve with lemon slices.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Scallop: Calories: 87 | Carbs: 1 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 4 g | Sodium: 420 mg | Sugar: 0 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.