This is a truly yummy and very versatile pumpkin butter – this baby can be spread on toast, dolloped on vegan yogurt or porridge, licked straight off a spoon, you decide. I was super happy with how this turned out and even happier that it contained no sugar. This recipe is almost too easy – I was waiting for the catch, fearing I’d missed out a crucial ingredient or step but no, this really is it. I must admit it’s a heck of a lot less stressful than making jam and is certainly more autumnal/fall. All those gorgeous spices and silky smooth pumpkin puree make for one fabulously tasty spread. You must make this. That is all.
Pumpkin Butter [Vegan]
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- pinch salt
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer the mixture on a low heat until it thickens ensuring to stir it constantly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- It should take approx 20-30minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, sterilize a jar by washing it in very hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry in a low oven for about 15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes put the lid in the oven.
- When the butter has sufficiently thickened transfer to the jar and screw the lid on immediately. Allow to cool for at least a day before using or giving it away.
- Spread on toast, dollop in vegan yoghurt or porridge (oatmeal), use as a sweet dip, eat straight from the jar.