Gnocchi isn't really pasta -- it's made of potatoes, which is why I have omitted the traditional boiled potatoes from this recipe. The original recipe uses real pasta, adding pesto, potatoes, peas, and green beans to the glorious dish. I wasn't too keen on the whole double carb thing, and you don't really need it, either, as the gnocchi are really the star ingredient here. This is honestly hands-down one of the easiest dishes I have ever made. It's the perfect moreish weeknight dinner, when nothing but a bowlful of carbs and a creamy sauce will do. And since it contains vegetables, I deem it healthy... or healthy enough.
Gnocchi alla Genovese [Vegan]
- 1 packet of gnocchi
- 2 handfuls of frozen green beans
- 2 handfuls of frozen peas
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup soy cream (or non-dairy milk, if you can't find any cream)
- Steam the green beans and peas over a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Pour the cream and pesto into a large pan to simmer.
- Add the gnocchi, stirring to cover them in creamy pesto sauce. Stir in the peas and beans, then serve while it's still hot.