These vegan "crab" rangoons are the perfect appetizer for you! They have the classic creamy filling with a very crunchy outer layer. They can be folded a few different ways and will be a hit at your next get-together!
Vegan “Crab” Rangoons [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup of jackfruit, shredded
- 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Fresh chives for topping (optional)
- Wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Start by preparing the jackfruit. If you're using canned jackfruit, shred the jackfruit and place it in a colander. If it has been stored in brine, rinse the jackfruit well for 3-4 minutes to remove the brine flavor. Press the jackfruit to remove as much excess liquid as possible (you can use a kitchen towel, cheese cloth, or paper towels). Try to dry the jackfruit as much as possible.
- Combine the cream cheese, jackfruit, fish sauce, Old Bay, and onion powder in a bowl. Mix to combine.
- Now it's time to fold the rangoons:
- Method 1 (ravioli): place 1 tsp of jackfruit mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Wet all sides of the wrapper with water. Fold a pair of opposite corners together to form a triangle, then press to seal the sides and remove any air bubbles. Wet the center of the triangle, then take the long sides of the triangle and fold them on top of each other across the center.
- Method 2 (flowers): place 1 tsp of jackfruit mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water. Focusing on the flat edges of the wrapper, bring the middle of the edges into the center and pinch to seal. Then, gently flatten the bottom into a square shape. If the corners accidentally seal shut, use a chopstick to gently open the corners.
- Once you've folded all your rangoons, heat 3 inches of oil in a small pot on the stove on medium-low heat.
- Once the oil is heated, carefully drop a few of the rangoons into the pot and fry for 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove them from the oil and place them on a drying rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of your rangoons until they are all fried.
- Serve with a side of sweet chili sauce and scallions.