This 8-ingredient vegan chickpea curry with tomatoes is the ultimate 30-minute comfort food that will keep you satisfied. Besides being quick and easy to prepare, it is also gluten-free and dairy-free, making it a great recipe for those with dietary restrictions. This chickpea curry is full of flavour, creamy and most importantly, so comforting. The perfect lunch or dinner on a dreary day! Moreover, it makes your life so much easier if you’re into batch cooking as it keeps well in fridge or stored in portions in freezer.
Vegan Chickpea Curry with Tomatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 small onions (or one bigger one)
- 8 thin ginger slices
- 2 small carrots or 1 bigger one
- 4 smaller garlic cloves (or 2 big ones)
- 2 teaspoons Indian spice mix
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 24 ounces additive-free tomato puree
- 1/2 cup 18% coconut milk
- 2 x 8.5oz cans unsalted chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, rinse and drain
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Start by making a batch of Indian Spice Mix (if you don’t have it ready). Alternatively replace the spice mix and turmeric with any preferred curry powder or garam masala mix.
- Then, finely dice onion and chop up carrot and ginger.
- Next, heat up a few tablespoons of water or broth in a skillet or large pan. After that, add the onions, carrot and ginger. Sauté the veggies with the lid on until softened, about 3 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Now, throw in crushed garlic cloves, the spice mix and turmeric (or ready curry powder), stir and cook for a few minutes. Add a few splashes of water as necessary.
- Then, pour in tomato puree, mix and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Finally, add coconut milk and chickpeas. Bring to boil and turn off the heat. Season with black pepper and Himalayan salt. For a more mushy result, take potato masher or fork and mash the chickpeas until the curry has thickened to desired consistency.