These cheesy baked potatoes and BBQ Beans are just phenomenal! I made them cause I thought they would make for a hearty meal, but the taste floored me! The cheese was gooey, the beans were decadent, and the “bacon” bits and chives sealed the deal. They are the perfect go-to when I don't know what to make.
Vegan Cheesy Baked Potato & BBQ Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Potatoes:
- 4 medium-sized russet potatoes
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato (approx. 1 medium-sized)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the BBQ Black Beans Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Vegan BBQ sauce
- 2 cups of black beans
- vegan Bacon Bits
For the Baked Potatoes:
- Position racks in middle and bottom thirds, then preheat your oven to 350F. Use a fork to poke 8 to 12 deep holes all over the spuds. Place potato directly onto the middle rack of the oven and position a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the skin feels crisp, but the flesh beneath feels soft. Cut a slit through the spud down towards the middle without cutting all the way through and fluff up the flesh with a fork
For the Cheesy Sauce:
- Add the sweet potatoes and remaining cheese ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat while constantly stirring until you have a thick stretchy consistency.
For the BBQ Black Beans:
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add black beans and BBQ and simmer for 5 minutes while squishing some pieces with a fork.
- Put in a 1/4 cup of your BBQ Bean into your baked potato. Top off with your cheese sauce, chives, and "bacon" bits. Serve & enjoy!