I know that the fried versions of doughnuts are not as healthy as the baked, but really, it’s like comparing fried potato chips to baked potato chips. In my opinion, you can’t beat the crunch of super sweet vanilla glaze over a warm fried doughnut, fresh from the frying oil. These do take a little time, between the two rise times and a bit of frying, but it is well worth the time commitment and fear of frying things in oil (I have this fear!).
Vanilla Glazed Vegan Yeast Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup almond milk, heated until warm
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Olive oil, for frying
For the Glaze:
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve 2 tablespoons of the yeast in ¾ cup of the milk. Add ¾ cup of the flour and stir to create a paste. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the remaining milk and yeast. Add the yeast paste and sugar, salt, vanilla, and potato starch. Mix until smooth. Add ½ cup of remaining flour and melted coconut oil, until the mixture becomes incorporated. Add rest of flour in ½ cup increments until dough is smooth and not too sticky. If dough is still too sticky, add a little more flour and stir again. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- After dough has chilled, roll out on a floured surface to ½ inch thick. Cut out doughnuts with a doughnut or cookie cutter, 3 inches in diameter with 1 inch holes. Keep rerolling and cutting the dough until all has been used. (I actually used a biscuit cutter and a shot glass for the holes). Place the doughnuts on a lined baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 15 minutes.
- After doughnuts has risen, heat a large pan over medium high heat with at least 2 inches of olive oil, for frying. Once oil has become hot enough (test with a small piece of dough, making sure it sizzles, but doesn't start popping/smoking, when it's dropped in), fry all the doughnuts until golden on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. When removed from the oil, place them on a stack of paper towels to drain off excess oil. When all the doughnuts have been made, allow to drain and make the glaze.
- To make the glaze: Whisk together the powered sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract. Dip each doughnut in the glaze and allow to harden on a parchment lined cookie sheet.