This is an amazing dish to make when you're looking forward to a busy week – you can make a huge batch on Sunday or Monday night and keep it in the freezer! Presto, a simple and comforting dinner when you are running low on time and energy.
Unbelievably Simple One Pot Seitan Chili [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 bell peppers, cut into short slices
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 cup seitan pieces, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, cooked dried beans or tinned, drained beans
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili flakes (according to taste)
- Heat a large pan over a medium-high heat then add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion. Stir until it has turned translucent.
- Add the peppers to the pan, stirring frequently. Cook for around three minutes before adding the mushrooms, cumin and garlic. Continue to stir frequently.
- Once the mushrooms have softened slightly, add the red wine and stir well until it has evaporated. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, seitan, soy sauce and both paprika varieties to the pan. Lower the heat slightly, cover, and simmer for around ten to fifteen minutes until the sauce has begun to thicken.
- Add the kidney beans and chili flakes, stir well and simmer for a further five minutes.