These skillet-grilled, hearty vegan burritos are stuffed with roasted and seasoned white and sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and a special sauce. They are the perfect meal to prepare during the week, when you’re short on time, but positively hangry from running yourself in every direction all day. These filling burritos are ready in about 30 minutes and will make any Wednesday (or Tuesday, Thursday, Friday…) feel like a fiesta.
Two Potato Bean Burritos with Vegan Cheese Sauce [Vegan]
Mexican Cheeze Sauce:
- 1/3 cup cashews (soaked for a few hours, preferably – for digestion. Drain and rinse well. Not necessary if you have a high-speed blender)
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes in olive oil (rinsed off)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- Spices: 1/8 tsp cumin, plus a dash of onion powder, garlic, chili powder, and paprika, cayenne – optional *
- 1 large potato, this recipe used organic Idaho potatoes, diced small (1/2 inch or smaller)
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced small (1/2 inch or smaller)
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- Dash of onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin and paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can of vegan refried beans (preferably organic & non-bpa lined can)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Other fillings options: homemade or prepared enchilada sauce, avocado, prepared Spanish rice, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, spinach
- 2-4 large flour tortillas, whole grain or gluten free
- Cilantro and sliced green onions for serving
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat. Combine potatoes with oil, spices, and season with salt and pepper and spread out on the pan. Remember, the smaller you chop your potatoes, the faster they’ll bake. Bake for 10 minutes, shake the pan or stir/flip the potatoes and bake another 8-10 minutes or until crispy, browned and very tender.
- Make the cheeze sauce in your blender - just blend all ingredients together.
- Prepare your other ingredients. It's reccommended to warm the beans in a small pot.
- Assemble the burritos. Lay out the tortilla shells and spread with beans and top with potatoes, onions, cheeze sauce, and other toppings, then fold the sides over.
- Warm a flat sautee pan over medium heat and add a tsp of coconut or avocado oil. Once hot, add a burrito one at a time, and heat on each side for a couple of minutes, until brown and slightly crispy on the outside. Use a spatula to gently press down on the burrito. Serve with more cheeze sauce, cilantro and green onions.
- Potato Recipes