This turmeric tofu cashew curry is east to make and incredibly healthy. The dish combines lightly sautéed vegetables along with tofu seasoned with a delicious turmeric-based spice blend. The cashews on top provide the perfect crunch to the silky smooth texture of this curry.
Turmeric Tofu Cashew Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14-ounce pack extra firm tofu, chopped
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves star anise
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, for garnish
- On a greased cookie sheet, spread the cashews and place them in a toaster oven until they are brown. Let them cool down.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine turmeric and chili powder and keep them aside.
- Heat a nonstick wok and grease it well.
- Place the chopped tofu in it and sprinkle half of the spice powder on the tofu.
- Flip over the tofu and sprinkle the rest of the spice powder on.
- Cook the tofu for few minutes until it starts drying out. Take it out of the pan and keep it aside.
- In a food processor combine your onion, half of the roasted cashews, ginger garlic paste, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, the cinnamon stick, and 1/4 cup coconut milk. Process it into a smooth paste.
- In the same pan, heat the olive oil and add the star anise.
- Immediately add the onion paste to the warm oil and cook the mixture until it starts releasing its juice. Keep sautéing the curry at intervals to avoid sticking.
- Add your water and cook for a few of minutes while stirring it.
- Add the tofu pieces and cook it again for a minute.
- Add coconut milk, salt, and sugar.
- Cook the curry, covered, on a low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame add the remaining cashew nuts.
- Garnish the dish with cilantro and serve warm with naan and or rice