Ceviche is a great way to stay cool in the summertime and enjoy all the fresh, fruity flavors the season has to offer. This tropical ceviche features sweet melons like cantaloupe and papaya, crisp jicama, zesty lime and more! It is paired with tangy, tamari and maple glazed tofu.
Tropical Ceviche and Tangy Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tangy Tofu:
- 1 15-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Pink salt, to taste
For the Tropical Ceviche:
- 1/2 cup cantaloupe, chopped
- 1/2 cup papaya, chopped
- 1/2 cup Persian cucumbers, chopped
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/3 cup jicama
- 1 1/2 limes juiced, zest of 1/2 a lime
- 3/4 cups cilantro, chopped and more to taste
- 3/4 cups red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup green onion, minced
- Pinches of cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Tofu:
- Pre-heat over to 450°F.
- Take out tofu brick and wrap in paper towel, put heavy object on top to remove as much moisture as possible. let it sit and use new paper towels if necessary. Be gentle though, you don't want the tofu to fall apart.
- Put all ingredients for the tangy sauce in a small bowl and whisk like crazy. Heat 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- You want there to be a lot of oil so the tofu does not stick to the pan and so it fries up and gets golden brown.
- Slice to tofu into 6 rectangles. First cut the brick in half horizontally and then slice into thin bricks vertically.
- Once the oil is hot, place the tofu bricks in the pan carefully. You should hear a sizzle! If not then your oil and pan are not hot enough.
- Let them sear for 5 minutes, then flip on the other side and sear another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the tangy sauce on top of the tofu right in the pan. It might begin to sizzle and bubble a little. That's ok.
- Transfer the entire cast iron skillet to the oven and let bake for 10 minutes.
To Make the Ceviche:
- Chop up all the ingredients, combine in a bowl, and mix well.
- Divide up the ceviche amongst two bowls and layer with 3 tofu bricks. Garnish with lime slices, fresh cilantro, and green onions.