Alloo pies are a popular Trinidadian street food made from spiced mashed potatoes folded into dough and then fried. The potatoes are flavorful and creamy, with warm spices, vegan butter, and vegan sour cream, while the dough is crispy and warm. These are best served with spiced chickpeas or any kind of chutney, from savory onion to sweet and spicy mango.
Trinidadian Alloo Hand Pies [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups of water
For the Mashed Potato:
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 Russet potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground chili peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground geera (ground smoked cumin)
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan sour cream
- 2 cups of cooking oil, for frying
To Make the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients listed under the dough. Making a small hole in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add in the water.
- Using your fingers, start mixing the dough as you add the water.
- Mix until you form a soft, sticky dough. Knead for a good 5 minutes.
- Cover with a damp paper towel and let this rest.
To Make the Potato Filling:
- On the stove bring to a boil a pot of water. Once the water is boiling add 1/4 teaspoon salt, oil, cayenne pepper, and the peeled and cubed potatoes.
- Allow the potatoes to cook until tender as if you are making mashed potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- To the bowl with the potatoes add salt, pepper, vegan sour cream, geera, chili pepper, chives, and garlic. Using a potato masher, start mashing and mixing the potatoes to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Taste the mashed potato mix. Add more salt, black pepper, or garlic, if desired.
To Make the Aloo Hand Pies:
- Heat your cooking oil to 375°F.
- Start making small golf ball-sized balls with the dough. Once all the dough is shaped, start to roll each one out lengthwise, using a rolling pin.
- Start scooping in a little bit of the potato mixture into each piece of rolled-out dough.
- Taking one side of the rolled-out dough, pull it over the potato mixture. Using your fingertip, brush on a little water on the top side of the folded dough, then pull the other side of the dough over it. Press down gently to seal.
- Place the filled dough, seal side down, onto a floured baking sheet. Continue to fill the rest of the balls.
- Once all the dough has been filled with potato filling, start frying. Fry until golden brown and the dough is fully cooked through. Always do a trial run first to make sure your oil is not too hot. Once the hand pie is golden brown, drain on grease-proof paper.
- To serve, make a slit down the middle, right where the seam is, and fill with channa and your favorite chutneys.