Looking for the perfect dairy-free lasagna? This comforting dish layers gluten-free lasagna slices with fried eggplant slices, a rich tomato sauce made with carrots and leeks, and a topping of cashew mozzarella that's gooey and stretchy. Not only is it amazing on this lasagna, it is also perfect for pizza, calzones, and mac and cheese.
Tomato Eggplant Lasagna With Cashew Mozzarella [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Lasagna:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 9-ounce package of lasagna sheets (gluten or grain-free, if necessary)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Leek-Carrot Tomato Sauce:
- 1/2 leek onion
- 4 carrots
- 3.5 ounces spinach
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon herb salt
- Scant 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove
For the Cashew Mozzarella:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
To Make the Eggplant:
- Start by cutting the eggplant int0 1-inch thick slices and sprinkle both sides generously with salt to let it sweat. This will extract the water and bitter taste from the eggplant. Let the salt sit for 15-20 minutes while moving on to the next step.
To Make the Leek-Carrot Tomato Sauce:
- Wash and cut the leek and onion into slices. Use a carrot peeler to shred thin slices of the carrots. Fry in a pan on medium heat with crushed garlic, leek and spinach. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable bullion cube, crushed tomatoes, cream cheese, and the tomato purée. Stir and remove from heat.
To Cook the Eggplant:
- Use a strainer to press and remove all the water from the eggplant. Wash the eggplant with water to remove the salt. Fry the eggplant in olive oil on medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
To Make the Lasagna:
- When the eggplant is ready, start assembling your lasagna by putting layers of pasta sheets, carrot-leek tomato sauce and eggplant. Repeat this and make three to four layers.
- Make the melted cashew cheese: Put all ingredients for the cashew cheese into a high-speed blender and blend for about a minute until creamy.
- Pour the blended cashew mixture into a small saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and looks like melted cheese. Let cool slightly and spread over the lasagna. See this video for further instructions.
- Cook the lasagna in the oven for 30-40 minutes.