This Tomato Basil Roasted Pepper Red Lentil Soup is a comforting treat that can be served anytime of the year. The red lentils provide the heartiness and the roasted peppers, tomato and basil brings in the comfort!
Tomato Basil Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Soup [Vegan]
- 2 Large Red Bell Peppers – roasted
- 6 Large Tomatoes – 4 grated - 2 diced - set aside
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 White Onion – minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic - minced
- 1/4 Cup Dry White - optional
- 2 Cups Dried Red Lentils - rinsed well
- 8 Cups Filtered Water
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Paprika - or mild
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt – or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper – or to taste
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Basil – minced - extra for garnish
- Roast the peppers on the stove top on medium-high heat. A gas stove works the best but it will work fine on an electric stove. Char the peppers on all sides turning with a pair of tongs. When good and charred, steam them for 10 minutes in a covered dish or a paper bag rolled shut to hold in the steam.
- Take a paper towel and rub off the char. It’s okay to leave a little of the char. Slice in half and remove the seeds and stems. Roughly chop and add to a food processor and set aside.
- Cut the 4 tomatoes in half and grate the cut side on a cheese grater. Discard the skins. Add to the food processor and puree with the peppers. Set aside. Dice the remaining 2 tomatoes. Set aside.
- Add the onion to a 5 and 1/2 quart pot along with the olive oil on medium-low heat.
- Sauté until onions are soft (about 5 minutes) and add the garlic. When the garlic just begins to turn golden (about 4 more minutes) then add the wine and cook until it is reduced and syrupy. (about 2 minutes)
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and strain. Add the water, pureed tomato and red peppers to the onions then add the lentils. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium for about 20-25 minutes. Scoop off the starchy foam.
- When lentils are soft, add the diced tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, lemon, hot paprika, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 more minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Add the basil at the end and serve.
If you don't care about adding in the skin, you can add the tomatoes to the food processor without grating them.