These balls in masala sauce are a perfect blend of Indian cooking and vegan food, they’re so full of flavor, you won’t believe it’s meat-free.
Tofu “Meatball” Masala [Vegan]
To Make the Tofu "Meatballs":
- 8-ounces firm tofu, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
To Make the Masala Sauce:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- In a food processor or with a mortar and pestle, blend the onions, garlic, ginger, and all the spices.
- Transfer this paste to an oiled wok (or big frying pan) and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- In an oiled frying pan, cook the onion and garlic until golden.
- Transfer with the tofu and almond meal, in a food processor, add salt.
- Blend until you get a pasty consistency.
- Make 7, golf size balls by rolling them between your hands.
- Add oil to the non-stick frying pan and warm it up.
- Place the balls in the frying pan and cook them on medium to high heat, turning them carefully, until they get golden on each side.
- Pour the coconut milk in the wok (with the masala paste), stir well.
- Simmer on medium/low heat for about 10 minutes or until it thickens a bit. Add salt.
- Add the tofu balls, coat them completely.
Serve over rice.