Fish-free, egg-free fish and chips? It can be done! This tofu fish and chips recreates the British classic by wrapping tofu in nori, coated in bread crumbs, and frying it until crispy. It's a simple recipe, so even if you're not 100 percent confident in your culinary abilities, this is easy to make. Serve it the classic way, with fries of your choice and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Tofu Fish and Chips [Vegan]
For the "Fish":
- 1 14-ounce block tofu
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sushi nori sheets
For the Batter:
- 1 bottle of beer
- Scant 1 cup any flour (or enough to make a pancake-like batter)
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of fine sea
- A dash of pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Tartar Sauce:
- Vegan mayonnaise
For the Other Ingredients:
- Fine bread crumbs
- Cooking oil
- 1 lemon
- Start squeezing out water of a block of tofu. This is quite important as it helps the tofu absorb flavors better.
- In the meantime, make whatever kind of fries you want.
- For the tartar sauce, finely chop a few gherkins and mix together with vegan mayonnaise.
- Pour a bottle of beer into a large bowl, add all other batter ingredients, and whisk until you get a pancake-like batter.
- Cut the tofu into 1/3-inch thick cutlets. Sprinkle lemon juice on the tofu pieces and season generously with garlic powder, some pepper, and sea salt. Wrap
- Wrap a sushi nori sheet around the tofu. It will be a bit moist, so the sushi nori sheet should stick to it well.
- Add a generous amount of fine bread crumbs to a plate.
- Dunk the tofu "fish" pieces into the batter and then move to the plate with bread crumbs and cover well on all sides.
- Fry in hot cooking oil until golden brown.
- While that's frying, cook your peas.
- When the "fish" pieces are done transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve everything on a large plate and sprinkle some lemon juice on the "fish" pieces for extra flavor.