This dish is a smoky, lemony delight with a delicious mix of textures – from the chewy tofu and crunchy vegetables to light fluffy cauliflower rice. It’s an ideal lunch or dinner, for any season, and both the tofu and chickpeas make this dish a great source of plant-based protein. What’s more, you get an extra serving of your five-a-day in the cauliflower rice!
Tofu Chorizo and Lemon Cauliflower Rice [Vegan]
- 14 ounces tofu, well pressed for at least thirty minutes
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce, for non gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 small or half a large cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup snap peas, top and tailed, cut in half
- 1/2 cup asparagus, cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1 lemon, cut into two
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for cooking
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Mix all of the remaining tofu ingredients together in a large bowl to create the marinade. Add the tofu to this bowl, mix well to ensure it is fully coated. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the cauliflower rice and chop the vegetables.
- Add the cauliflower to a food processor and blend to create rice-sized grains (do not over-blend or it will be too small to have any texture).
- Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying pan. Heat over a medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tofu to the pan. Fry for around ten to twelve minutes, turning frequently until it starts to crisp around the edges.
- Add the chickpeas, snap peas, asparagus, and garlic to the pan with the tofu. Cook for three minutes, then add the cauliflower grains, olives, the juice of half a lemon, and black pepper.
- Stirring frequently, cook for around 4-5 minutes until the cauliflower is tender but firm.
- Cut the remaining half lemon into slices.
- Serve with a slice of lemon on each portion.