This salad has pretty much every flavor and texture you could ever want in a meal: leafy kale, creamy avocado, savory tofu, juicy tomatoes, crunchy toasted coconut, tangy lime... So what are you waiting for? Make it for lunch right now!
Toasted Coconut Kale Salad With Tofu and Brown Rice [Vegan]
For the Pan-Sautéed Tofu:
- 1 block of firm or extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free tamari if need be)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
For the Toasted Coconut and Sunflower Seeds:
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
For the Kale Salad:
- Kale, chopped (any type)
- Lime juice
- Coconut aminos
- Cooked brown rice
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters or halves
- Avocado, cut into chunks and then slightly mashed
- Pan-Sautéed Tofu
- Toasted Coconut / Sunflower Seed mixture
To Make the Tofu:
- Take the tofu out of the package and extract as much liquid as you can. Some people use a tofu press, I use a pie plate and some regular plates to get the job done.
- While you’re extracting the liquid from the tofu, make the marinade by mixing together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, water and garlic in a large container (large enough to hold the tofu) with a tight fitting lid .
- When the tofu is as dry as you can get it, cut it into bite-sized pieces and add it to the marinade. Fasten the lid, and turn the container upside down so that the marinade coats all of the tofu. Let it marinate for at least 10 minutes, flipping the container upside down intermittently.
- When you’re ready to cook it, heat a nonstick or cast iron pan over medium heat for a couple of minutes until the pan is hot. Add the tofu to the hot pan, along with whatever marinade is left, and cook until the tofu is cooked on all sides and slightly browned.
- Be gentle when flipping the tofu, especially if you’re not using a non-stick pan because some of the tofu might stick to the pan and get crumbly. If this happens, don’t worry about it. It will still taste good.
To Make the Coconut / Sunflower Seed Mixture:
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat for about a minute and then turn the heat down to low.
- Add the coconut and stir constantly until it’s evenly browned and smells like pure coconut heaven (it will only take a couple of minutes).
- Place the coconut in a bowl and then add the sunnies to the pan.
- Stir frequently until they smell fragrant and are evenly browned (they will take about 3-5 minutes).
- Transfer the sunnies to the bowl with the coconut and mix them together.
- Place in a container and store in the fridge.
To Make the Salad:
- Chop the kale and place it into a large bowl.
- Add some lime juice and coconut aminos, and then massage the kale with your hands until the kale shrinks in size and becomes softer than when you started.
- Add some brown rice (I like to heat the rice, you can add it cold if you like), red onion, tomato, avocado, tofu and coconut / sunflower seed mixture.
- Mix it all up and dig in.
*I’m not giving you measurements for these ingredients because you’re fully capable of adding how much you want of each item. Also, you don’t have to add all of these items if you don’t want. I personally think this combination is mind blowing, but you can mess around with it however you want.