These easy apple hand pies are a great way of serving an apple pie as an individual portion – no cutlery & no mess! They are a perfect ‘grab and go’ snack that can be eaten hot or cold. It’s a great recipe to make with children too. They can be made in advance and stored in the freezer, ready for the upcoming holiday season. Vegan, no refined sugar.
The Best Easy Apple Hand Pies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for The Best Easy Apple Hand Pies [Vegan]
For the pies:
- 17.5 ounces vegan shortcrust pastry
- 3 apples peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or caster sugar plus more or sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 tablespoon water
For the Vegan ‘Egg Wash’:
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
How to Prepare The Best Easy Apple Hand Pies [Vegan]
- Remove the shortcrust pastry from the fridge at least half an hour before to get it to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, lemon juice, vanilla bean paste, coconut sugar, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, star anise and water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook on medium heat, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until the apples are just soft. Discard the cinnamon sticks and star anise and set aside to cool down.
- Roll out the pastry into a large 3/4" thick circle. Using a 10cm cookie cutter (or a glass), cut out 14 shapes (use the pastry cutouts to make an extra circle to get more shapes).
- Spoon the apple filling into the center, leaving the border of around 3/4".
- Cover with a plain pastry shape to encase the filling and seal the edges with a fork. Brush the hand pies with the ‘egg wash’ & sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Using a straw, poke a steam hole on the top of the pie. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool down for a few minutes and if desired, brush with a little maple syrup whilst still warm for extra glaze. Serve on its own or with custard or ice cream!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.