I wanted to make my favorite Thai soup because I have been craving it. If you want, you can decrease the coconut milk to one can – which will decrease the fat – and just add more vegetable stock. If you want more vegetables in this soup, add some sliced mushrooms and/or carrots. To add more protein and fiber, a can of beans wouldn't hurt or some jasmine rice or quinoa – definitely toasted. Get creative, add what you like, the base is so tasty anything would work. I served this soup warm, but it would also be delicious chilled.
Thai Corn Soup [Vegan]
- 2-3 ears fresh corn, kernels scraped from cob, 2 cups
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans light coconut milk
- 1 cup no salt added vegetable stock
- 1-3 tsp red curry powder, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp date syrup or maple syrup, optional
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions and two tablespoons of water. Saute until onions are translucent, stirring often adding a tablespoon of water if onions start to stick, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 1 minute.
- Add corn and sauté for 5-8 minutes stirring constantly, adding a tablespoon of water when needed.
- Add bell pepper and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, date syrup, and curry powder. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper and adjust to taste.
- Serve with fresh chopped basil and lime wedges.